Do you have a 4-H member who plans to take a 4-H Natural Resources Project in 2024? If so, please save the date for the Ohio Department of Natural Resource’s 4-H Project Day in the Park!
What is it? A partnership program between 4-H and ODNR to promote our State Parks and Careers in Natural Resources. (See longer explanation below if you are interested in helping) 😊
What will 4-H members get to do? 4-H members will have the opportunity to sign up for one or both 4-H project sessions. They will work with professionals in those fields and complete at least two activities in their 4-H Project books that day!
Cost? As of right now the event is free!
Where? Deer Creek State Park in Mount Sterling, Ohio
Date/Time? May 18, 2024 – Tentative schedule right now is from 9:45 am – 3:00 pm (families can stay for two sessions or just come for one)
Sponsor: Ohio Department of Natural Resources.
Contact: Jordan Conner email@example.com
The information below is tentative and for your information, if you are interested in helping with the day’s events.
- Between 8:30 am and 9:00 am: Workshop presenters arrive and complete any necessary set-up by 9:30 am
- Approx. 9:45 am to 10:00 am: 4-H members and parents arrive at location of selected project workshop.
- 10:00 am to 12:00 pm: Workshop part 1 with one 10 to 15-minute break
- 12:00 pm to 12:30 pm: Lunch at workshop location
- 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm: Workshop part 2 with one 10 to 15-minute break
- 3:00 pm to 3:30 pm: Workshop presenters tear down and clean up
4-H MEMBERS BRING (Backpack Recommended)
- Project book for selected workshop (NOTE: Forgot book? They can fill out responses at home)
- Closed-toe shoes or boots.
- Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen (If raining, raincoat)
- Water bottle
- Packed lunch
- Items needed for specific workshops will be communicated in advanced.
- NOTE: 4-H members and their parents will be informed that parental supervision is required.
- Workshop instruction
- Workshop material and equipment, if applicable
- Extra pencils
- Snacks for participants who forget a packed lunch (Goldfish, fruit snacks)
- Extra bottled water
- First aid
If you are interested in helping with this project, they are looking for additional session presenters. They are also looking for teens who might be interested in being session helpers and group leaders to move people where they need to be.
Projects for this year have not been selected and could be based on presenter interest. Focus project are those listed under Natural Resources in the family guide.
ODNR’s goal for this event: To introduce their State Parks to the next generation. They have seen declining park visitors over the past 10 years, but with COVID there was a renewed interest in being outside and in nature. ODNR recognizes this opportunity and is reaching out to groups who work with youth to keep this interest growing. They have been doing large state projects with the scout groups and now have reached out to 4-H.
4-H Opportunity for this event: To introduce our 4-H members to professionals who work in the field of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences. Introduce them to careers they may have never heard of before. To give them that opportunity to take their natural resources project beyond what they can do on their own and to use this as a leadership opportunity.
Interested in helping? Contact Jordan Conner at firstname.lastname@example.org