MyIntent Bracelet

Honors and Scholars (H&S) alumnus Chris Pan launched MyIntent bracelets as a mode of positivity in order to guide one’s own personal goals and as a “conversation starter” for incoming freshmen at Ohio State. I had the privilege of being able to create my own MyIntent bracelet prior to the autumn semester with a word and/or phrase that is meaningful to me. Thus, I chose the Japanese word “Natsukashii” but despite how there is not a literal translation in English for it, “Natsukashii” is used to describe “remembering the good times” and “that nostalgic feeling a person has and fonds over.” This word is supposed to represent the good times and positivity that I will experience throughout college and in my STEM EE Scholars program. I always dread and discuss how terrible life has and will be but never reminisce on the good memories that I have experienced throughout the past 18 years.

Along with my MyIntent bracelet, I have my high school’s civic and positivity launch of “Event plus Response Equals Outcome” in my senior year. Similarly to the MyIntent organization, this “E+R=O” wristband demonstrates how important a person’s response is—despite the positive or negative event that occurred. This leads to the outcome being impacted by the response and event in either an advantageous or disadvantageous way. I took this mentality with me to Ohio State and want to memorize the value it currently has and will have on me in the future. Not only that but as a freshman at Ohio State, I want to be a new person and be more positive in college.

At our Honors and Scholars Launch on August 21, all freshmen in the event were able to pick up their MyIntent bracelets. Once I saw my own physical MyIntent bracelet, I knew that I was going to have this on me for an extensive amount of time throughout my college career. This event is important to me as I know I want to remember and think of the positive moments that I have experienced in college as it is going to be a lengthy one. While keeping “Natsukashii” in my mind, I will be able to maintain a positive outlook on life—socially, physically, emotionally, and most of all, mentally.

With numerous events and opportunities that are in Ohio State’s campus, I know that I can overcome anything and try new things. I took a leap of faith and joined the Journal of Undergraduate Research, been an active Pre-Dental Continuing Education volunteer at OSU’s College of Dentistry, went to a Women in Math and Science meeting by myself with no prior information on them, and navigated the public transportation within Columbus—which is unheard for me and my old suburban self. With all of these, I know I can remain positive, despite how terrifying these small goals are for me personally. It is a menial event but it has deeply impacted me on who I am and intend on being.

The simple fact that Chris Pan was willing to give all the H&S freshmen free MyIntent bracelets because we were part of the Ohio State family was inspirational as he was willing to help us out purely on the OSU community and “ties” amongst alum, faculty, graduates, undergraduates, and prospective students too. Overall, I know that this experience, from Chris Pan’s organization to creating my own bracelet, is a precursor of the many positive moments that I will encounter not only throughout my duration as an undergraduate student at Ohio State but for the rest of my life.