Spring 2020 Event Reflection #1

I attended A Day in the Life of a Harvard Law Student featuring Samantha Harris, my former RA, and an IA LC member. The January 16 event in Hagerty Hall Room 180, fulfilled the Academic category, taking place from 5:30 to 6:30 PM. The video chat was casual, with her answering a handful of pre-arranged questions, and then opening up to the audience to see if we wanted to hear anything she had not yet addressed. I had been to one of her events last year about the law school application process and specifics about the LSAT. Now that she is halfway through 1L, it was great to hear a follow-up of particular aspects of the academic rigor and activities in which she participates. I considered law school temporarily, but I do not think that it is the environment for me, as I do not have any current plans of practicing law – more just using the degree for the knowledge and future application elsewhere. The talk did not change my beliefs, as I knew little about how law school operated in the first place, never mind Harvard, so it was very enlightening personally. The event relates to the topic of International Affairs because of the original inquiry and academic enrichment aspects of the IA values, as she mentioned the potential career paths many of her peers follow, from judges to partners at law firms, and the like – impacting the world around them in countless ways. If I could ask her a question after attending, I would ask if Harvard was not her dream school or she did not get in, how would she have gone about choosing which university she would commit to for law? The scholarship money, academics, location, etc.?