Event Reflection #3

I attended the Second-Year Transformational Experience Program (STEP) Expo in the the Archie M. Griffin Grand Ballroom of the Ohio Union on November 20, 2019, from 4:30-5:30 PM. I viewed five posters at the Academic event.

The first was a study abroad trip to Rwanda, studying life before, during, and after the 1990s genocide. I liked that the group also toured the country in their free time, seeing all it has to offer ~25 years later—it is so much more than just the violence! I would love to do a similar project, as I am incredibly interested in studying conflict. It relates to IA in the worldly perspective, studying other cultures and the conflicts that plague them too, not just American or Western problems.

The second was a semester-long study abroad trip to France. The presenter was a French major, so the language immersion sounded priceless for their fluency! I really appreciate those who want to make the effort to connect with those they want to better understand, living amongst them rather than about them. I would consider doing a similar kind of project, though I technically already have with my past study abroad. It does relate to IA because of the language and correlating culture focus.

The third was a summer Canadian Parliament internship. The presenter was a political science major, so real world experience inside of a national government was key into determining their passion for the field. I think it was a cool program as an idea, though I do not personally want to go into politics, so it would not be for me to do as a project. It does relate to IA because of what the position entails, engaging Canada with other countries, for better or for worse.

The fourth was a Europcar internship in Portugal. I thought the connection was so interesting, as a car rental company would not usually be someone’s first thought for business internships, but it is a business and it sounded great! I do not really enjoy economics or business, so it would not be a project that I would do, but it sounded super interesting. It connects to IA because of its international focus, operating primarily in European countries.

The fifth was a Global May Uganda study abroad trip. The presenter lived amongst locals, studying their culture and conflicts, while also participating in activities. I think Uganda is such a cool country and have always wanted to see it, and the presenter only made me want to go more! So I would consider it as a project! And the global aspect, just like with the rest, connect the presentation to IA.