Spring 2-19 event reflection #1

I attended Sam Harris’s event regarding law school and its application process. The incredibly insightful non-IA event took place on January 28th in the Smith 8 common area. She explained in detail the process of studying for and taking the LSAT, along with the extensive application process to law schools. I did not know much about the subject overall and was eager to learn more. I attended Sam Harris’s event regarding law school and its application process. The incredibly insightful non-IA event took place on January 28th in the Smith 8 common area. She explained in detail the process of studying for and taking the LSAT, along with the extensive application process to law schools. I did not know much about the subject overall and was eager to learn more. This event helps me academically to step back and reflect on my options for graduate school. I was not originally thinking about a professional school, but recently have begun weighing my possible choices. I was told by several people that I should look into it after telling them about my final project for my Religious Diversity in America writing class last semester. Through a podcast, I presented my research on the legality of evangelical politicians, focusing my attention on Vice President Mike Pence. I started with his upbringing and his transition away from being a Catholic Democrat to an Evangelical Christian Republican. I then looked into some of his policies and statements made as a representative of the supposedly secular government. I ended with my analysis of legal precedents that could be used to find the entire concept of evangelical politicians to be unconstitutional, as the politicians show a preference for their religion over others in the legislation they compose. Since receiving the advice, I am now considering law school, keeping the idea in the back of my head for future reference. I do know that a law degree would help me get a job in a wide variety of fields, whether consulting or working in a firm, becoming a diplomat or joining law enforcement. I know it would also help in my future field of intelligence in the United States government and America’s relationship with other nations. My dream job is working in counterterrorism with federal intelligence agencies. I want to work on the large-scale, using Arabic, which I am currently learning, and my previous knowledge of Hebrew to specialize in the Arab-Israeli conflict. Perhaps the event itself did not focus as much on international affairs, but the event could potentially get me there, working with two groups that have been incessantly clashing. I am most intrigued by the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s and the Central Intelligence Agency’s programs. I am interested in studying constitutional and government law should I pursue this career. This degree would not only help increase my competitiveness when applying for the said government positions but could provide a genuinely more thorough understanding of the country’s legal stances and one’s limitations. I also want to ask Sam if she knows of any schools that excel in particular types of law, or if she believes that if the school is known for their program, it is because the entire law school is spectacular overall.

One thought on “Spring 2-19 event reflection #1