STEM Seminar

For this post, I went to a STEM seminar that was in my field, Astronomy. The seminar was called the Astronomy Colloqium and focused on why planets are made out of the chemicals that they are made out of. In general, chemicals depended upon the distance from the center of a proto-planetary disk, or disk of dust formed after the destruction of a star. As the only person I know well who is in astrophysics currently, I chose to go to the seminar alone. While I was there I saw a lot of other students that appeared to be undergraduates as well, but I believe that they were there for one of the classes they were currently enrolled in and not taking initiatives to learn more about their field of study. I did not talk to them to find this out because I sat in the middle of the room yet everyone else sat behind me, but I did overhear them talking about a class of some sort. If I had chosen to talk to the speaker I do not think it would help my career out much here because the presenter happened to be from that college up north, unbelievable, and I never plan on going there, ever, unless I get to watch wolverines get pummeled by Buckeyes.

I had hoped to learn a lot of information during this seminar, which I did; however, I learned something else too. I learned that astrophysics focuses on a lot of material that I found boring, so much so that sadly I almost fell asleep a few times, and I love all things outer space, which blew my mind. Between this colloquium and the intro to astrophysics course I am currently involved in, I have gotten a sense that research is not what I wish to be doing with my entire life, just about anything else sounds a lot more fun for me. Due to this, I found out very early that I needed to change what I was doing in order to enjoy college more and in the future, enjoy what I end up doing a lot more than looking at data all day long.

By going to this seminar, I was able to spot the things that I needed to change about my plan for college as well as my plan for life, although that is not what the actual seminar was for, it taught me all of these things. Now I can plan on being an aerospace engineer, something that will be extremely rigorous, but something that I believe will fulfill what I wish to do with my life, which is a lot more than look at data and stay in school for another twelve or more years. I will say that I do think that the wide range of STEM seminars that were available to go to is extremely important for students at OSU because it grants students the chances to learn a lot about subjects that they did not know about before or to engage new interests in other fields and ponder what life could be like if they changed things up and tried something new, the latter being my experience. I am extremely grateful for this assignment and what it taught me about myself.