Academic Enrichment

I have learned so much about myself through the courses that I took this year. At the beginning of autumn semester, I was accepted into the Public Affairs Journalism major but I thought that I wanted to be an editor at a publishing house. This was a confusing time. It only got more confusing when I realized that I wasn’t enjoying my journalism courses because they were too specific to job training and I knew that I didn’t want to be a reporter. I became frustrated autumn semester.

In spring semester, I signed up for Intro to Literary Publishing, which is what I thought I wanted to do. However, I quickly came to realize that while I enjoyed the rigor of the class, it wasn’t what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Because I took such tough journalism courses and then spread out to a publishing course, I realized that my future path really lay with graduate school, most likely law school. If not for the intensity of these classes, I would not have been able to come to that conclusion about my future career.

However, I would like to make a note of the fact that even though these courses were creatively exhausting and extremely intensive, I never gave up on the courses themselves. Yes, I learned wonderful lessons about who I am, but I also knew that my grades mattered to me. Despite the changes that I’ve gone though this year, I am proud to say that I have been on the Dean’s List every semester of my college career and expect nothing less from myself in the future.