VIA Character Strengths

My top character trait on the VIA character Strengths assessment was humor. At first, I was a little offended by this. I remember thinking “is there nothing more to me” “Does this mean that I am shallow”. After thinking about this for several days, and writing about it in my journal, I finally realized that this was not actually a negative character strength.

What is something that absolutely everyone loves to do? Laugh.

I have undergone some very not so great things in my lifetime. But at the end of the day, I would rather make someone else laugh because I never know what it is that they are going through. If I can make them laugh then maybe, if only for a second, they may feel better. I don’t want others to feel the way I did when I was going through those not so great times.

This character strength is something that I will take with me through my future career as a social worker because the truth is sometimes you really do have to laugh to keep from crying. If I use humor as a way to keep myself feeling positive then I will be able to reduce the negative emotions that lead to emotional fatigue and burnout.

This assessment really opened my eyes to my own strengths. If anyone is like myself and wants to take the assessment again to make sure you haven’t experienced any major character changes in the last week, I will provide the link to the assessment website. https://www.viacharacter.org/Account/Register