Emotional Intelligence

Of the 5 components of emotional intelligence, I think that I struggle with social skills the most. This may sound stage coming from someone going into social work, but I definitely do not have the best social skills all of the time. A good leader must have great social skills especially when it comes to conflict resolution. I, however, have not so great conflict resolution skills because I have a strong desire to make everyone around me happy. knowing this about myself I will have to find methods for conflict management that work best for me.

Luckily there is a lot of good information about this available! One article I found on the subject comes from the International Journal of Conflict management. The article is titled “Servant leadership and conflict resolution: a qualitative study” by Ravinder Jit, Chandra Shekhar, and Mona Kawatra. The article discusses various types of conflict resolution. The one that really stuck out to me was authentic leadership; defined as “authentic leaders are characterized by a positive outlook and a deep awareness of their own and others values and perspectives and the context in which they operate”(Ravinder 2016). I found this definition to reflect the type of leader that I want to be. Which demonstrated to me that it is possible to be concerned about others and look out for their best intentions while also being a good leader.

Moving forward I will research more about conflict resolution and build on my leadership skills so that hopefully one day I can become a competent and compassionate leader in the social work world.

Reference

Ravinder, J. Shekhar, C. & Kawatra, M. (2016) Servant leadership and conflict resolution: a qualitative study. International Journal of  Conflict Management 1044-4068. Retrieved from: https://www-emerald-com.proxy.lib.ohio-state.edu/insight/content/doi/10.1108/IJCMA-12-2015-0086/full/html