What Does Leadership Mean to me?

A quote from one of my favorite leaders. A person who was not afraid to stand up for what he knew was right. A man who changed history. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Leadership, whether it is as a social work student or as a practicing social worker, is centered around one main idea, in my opinion: leading by example. What I mean by this is that as a social worker I have a strong desire to help others. By “others” I mean even those who society often turns a blind eye to. Those who are criminals, homeless, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, the list goes on. It is not simply enough to be of assistance during the 40 hours a week in which we are social workers but to be a leader in the community. Speak up when someone tries to make a racist comment. Attend an event during Pride month. Donate to the local food bank or volunteer in a soup kitchen if you have the time. Be the neighbor who helps to make the community a safe place for all. The type of neighbor that you would want to live next to. Someone who is considerate and kind. In my opinion, if we lead by example as a kind and compassionate person then we are encouraging others to do the same.

That is what being a good leader means to me as a social work student. As I grow into a practitioner in the future I hope to manifest that same energy and passion.