Summer has flown by and with many schools back in session today, we felt it was time to update you on some Fall 4-H Events & Updates.
- Back by popular demand, 4-H Fall Campout, October 7th – 9th, at the Lawrence County Fairgrounds. Details & registration can be found at go.osu.edu/lawco4hfallcampout. Saturday’s campout events are open to all 4-H’ers, even if you’re not planning to camp.
- Lawrence County Farm Bureau present’s “Ring on the River”, Market Feeder & Prospect Heifer Show, Sunday, October 9th. Details can be found by clicking “Ring on the River”
Also, volunteers & parents – Thursday, September 15th, is our Reorganizational Meeting for our 4-H & Livestock Committees. Anyone interested in running to be elected to the board must submit a letter of interest by the 15th to be on the ballot. Letters need to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed/dropped off to our office at 111 South 4th Street, Ironton. All committee members must be a certified 4-H volunteer.
September/October committee meetings are focused on 2023 rule changes and program updates – please share anything you feel should be considered as a rule change or a program update with me prior to September 15th. I will be glad to share with the committees. Your voice matters & we love continuing to make the best better. For example, the Livestock Committee already made a few changes to rules in their August meeting based on input and feedback from our 4-H families.
The following rule changes will be in effect for the 2023 Junior Fair Season:
- Market Beef Show: The Market Steer Show will become a Market Beef Show; meaning market steers or market heifers may be shown. Members may show one or the other, but not both; only 1 Market Beef animal per exhibitor will be permitted. All other 2022 Market Steer rules and weights will apply. Market Beef Tag-in is scheduled for Saturday, December 17th from 10:00 – 11:00am at the county fairgrounds. Reminder all beef tagged in must be halter broke and lead to the scales for tagging.
- Market Rabbit Exhibition: The Market Rabbit show will still require two tattooed rabbits to be weighed in to be eligible to exhibit in the quality, market rabbit show. However, changing for 2023, if you only have one tattooed rabbit at time of weigh in, you will be permitted to check in 1 rabbit during Fair weigh-in to exhibit in the Rabbit Showmanship Show. A pair of two tattooed fair rabbits is still required at Fair weigh-in to be eligible to sale.
- More updates and rule changes are being discussed and will be shared as they are finalized and voted on.
If you have any questions, comments, suggestions please reach out to our office at 740-533-4322 or email me at email@example.com
Thank you all for an amazing 4-H Fair Season! We look forward to working with many of our youth during our afterschool and in-school programming coming to many schools this Fall!