Year in Review

During my freshman year of college, I evolved as a student, an athlete, and a brother. Academically, I struggled to adjust to the academic rigor during the first semester, especially with time management skills and understanding complex topics, but the courses I took shaped me into a more responsible and stronger student. Away from home, the first semester was especially difficult because I had to balance academics, social life, squash and fitness, and flying, all while living completely independent. The transition was challenging at times, but these challenges shaped me into a more hardworking and thankful man. The highlights of my first semester were definitely befriending HES Peers, passing my Private Pilot test (while I was infected with Mononucleosis), and competing with OSU’s squash club and the Capital Club in Columbus. The 2nd semester also presented unique challenges, especially with COVID-19. When I departed Columbus for Spring Break, I didn’t realize the severity of the global pandemic until the first colleges started to suspend classes. Once OSU canceled the remainder of the semester, I felt devastated. I had so many fun events planned and was looking forward to finishing the semester strong with my fellow classmates and friends. Coronavirus has uprooted my lifestyle and impacted my life, but has also given me perspective. I’ve become more thankful for my parents, who are doctors continuing to serve our community and risk their lives each day treating patients, my close friends, who I never truly appreciated until I couldn’t physically see them, and my own health. The situation is frustrating at times, but I’m thankful for my good health during these times and that my family is financially secure. It’s terrible to hear how companies are laying off their workforces indefinitely, leaving some families with no source of income. During these uncertain times, I’ve spent time reflecting on the past year, and I’m especially thankful for the opportunity to attend OSU and meet such impactful students and faculty. Being reserved, I’m also proud that I networked with US airlines and learned more about future career opportunities throughout the year. When the time is right, I’m excited to return to OSU, continue my education, and grow with my friends and HES peers.