Global Awareness

In the summer of 2017, I went on a school based trip to Ecuador and to the Galapagos Islands. There my classmates and I were engulfed in the cultures of South America and the indigenous people that still resided in certain areas of the countries. This was a very eye opening experience for me as I learned first hand how another culture worked and how it related and differed from where I live in Ohio. This lead me to have a desire to study abroad at least once in my college career. I want to study abroad in countries that vary significantly from how I live so I can gain a newer perspective on the world. I want to use this experience to change how I approach certain situations in life and have a positive change on my outlook in life as well. I plan to study abroad during either winter or spring break during my undergraduate years and travel to Africa or South America.

Original Inquiry

My senior year in high school, I took an advanced placement class, AP Research, which involves students creating an original research question and using a mentor to conduct experiments and write a research paper. I decided that I wanted to research vaccinations and the anxiety that comes with them in children. I researched how temperature has an impact on pain tolerance levels and related that to anxiety levels.

I plan to continue with research at the Ohio State University. With my career goal being veterinary surgery, I aim to do research with animals and science, such as researching canine cancer and how to increase the survival rates of these dogs. This research will allow me to begin my own inquiries in the future and to further my education on animals and diseases/ injuries they acquire.

Academic Enrichment

I take my education and learning very seriously, and I pride myself on challenging myself with harder materials and having a strong work ethic. There are many ways I plan to continue challenging myself and to continue growing as a student and improve my learning. One of the ways I am currently doing this is by being a part of the Biological Sciences Scholars program here at the Ohio State University. This scholars program not only allowed me to meet many people with the same interests, but I get to learn more about how to be a better student and I get many opportunities to make connections with people at the university to help me with my aspirations for the future. Another way I plan to enrich myself in my academics is pursuing a minor in zoology. Since I plan to attend veterinary school in the future, I want to be more prepared by taking on a minor involved with animals and anatomy. This will push me to take harder classes, but it will also better prepare me for my future. I also plan on applying for the honors program here at the university. In high school, I took many challenging classes, and I hope to be able to do the same in college by taking honors classes and pushing my education even further.

Leadership Development

In high school, I was extremely involved and took on many leadership roles such as being the President of my schools National Honor Society, being the captain of the varsity cross country team, and simply being a leader to my peers and underclassman by demonstrating good skills as a leader. However, I don’t want to just be someone who lead in high school, I want to be someone who can help others in college and to be apart of organizations that do a lot for the community, students, and the school. I plan to join pre-vet club, running club, and become an office assistant within the next 2 semesters. While I started my first semester of college without any true leadership roles, I plan to take the time I took to get used to school, college life, and the people, to guide me in my next steps as a leader. I plan to join the clubs and eventually become someone future students will see and will feel comfortable here at this university and find a place they feel they truly belong.

Service Engagement

Serving your community and the people in it is one of the biggest roles I think students and everyone else should have in their life. It is about using your privilege and helping other people who do not have the same opportunities and lifestyle that you have and making their lives even just the slightest bit better. Helping others has been a passion of mine for a long time, from being a part of my middle schools National Honor Society to making my way up to my high schools president of the National Honor Society, I can say I plan to continue serving for the rest of my life, including college. Before the majority of students moved in, I had the opportunity to be involved in the R-LEAD program at Ohio State. I had a week of learning more about the university, the clubs and activities they offer, and most importantly how to be a better leader for your peers and for the future. I met many leaders who are different from me, and I got to learn more about different leadership skills and how to use them in college. Since then I have signed up to be a volunteer at the Franklin County Animal Shelter, and I plan on volunteering every weekend for different organizations such as food banks or clinics and many more. I have a passion to help animals, but I also have a passion to help those who need it, which is why I plan on serving as much as I can in college. I want to set up service opportunities so others can see what serving really does for other people and why it is so important in peoples lives.