Academic Support

Two days ago, I went to Campbell Hall to attend a study session for PSYCH 3313:Behavioral Neuroscience because I had a midterm on the subject material. I was freaking out because every lecture had so many slides and I felt that the course material was going at too high of a pace and was too hard to comprehend. I went to the study session from 6-8 PM and it was extremely helpful. They reviewed all the slides at a pace that was comfortable to everyone and answered questions as we kept going with extreme clarity, giving the people who attended a feeling that the midterm wouldn’t be as bad as everyone thought. That night, I left Campbell Hall with a relieved feeling knowing that I was going to do well on the midterm and I eventually did because of that study session.

I feel like there is such a strong stigma on the idea of seeking help for various subjects. A lot of people think that it’s a weakness to go looking for help on a subject because it apparently shows that you’re dumb and not capable of learning a single unit. However, a question that a lot of people need to ask themselves is do you care about doing well in school and graduating successfully and facing a little ridicule or not risking the ridicule and doing badly on the exam. Even then, a lot of people at college are mature and won’t make fun of people for getting help because college is hard and a change for a lot of people because they’re living in a different environment and having to adapt to harder classes. It’s perfectly normal to ask for tutoring.

I’ve personally never had to seek out tutoring during elementary, middle, or high school but now, year-long courses are compact into one semester so the content is faster and obviously harder because it’s more complex information.

Seeking help can help a student gain confidence to ask more questions during class, meet up with professors during office hours, go to tutoring sessions, etc. It also obviously helps people learn the material at a comfortable pace and allow them to absorb the information better.

During high school, I used to be a math teacher for a company that was based in my hometown, Powell. I had to quit it because of college but later on, I’d like to help people at the college for classes that I’ve taken because who else to help a student in a class than a former student?

All in all, tutoring is a great thing for many freshmen because, for some people, OSU is completely foreign to them and for most people, OSU might not be foreign but living away from parents and being completely capable on yourself is something that everyone struggles with. This along with the increasing difficulty and complexity of classes here, especially being stuffed into around 4 months would put a lot of stress on a student. Tutoring sessions led by upper-classmen helps students deal with stress and pressure with living in a new environment and their classes. This would instantly make a student’s experience at OSU become 10x better and more relaxed.

Image