American Family Issues

One class that had huge impact on me during my first two years here at OSU was HDFS 2367: American Family Issues. I took this class as a General Education requirement, for it is a second year writing class; however, it ended up being one of my favorite classes I have taken here at the university.

One of the requirements for the class was to read The Second Shift by Arlie Hochschild, and this was probably my favorite aspect of the class. This reading really opened my eyes to the gender stereotypes that women have had to face and still face within our society. Women are expected to have careers while still working the second shift at home. Without any help from their husbands, women are working an extra month of the year every year, which can cause a lot of problems within marriages.

Our class discussed these issues and how they can affect the children and the family dynamic within American families. This class was so impactful to me because it made me realize what I am looking for in my future marriage and family. This class taught me how future issues may potentially affect my children, or how they may even affect my marriage. This class gave me real-life knowledge that I can apply to my future life and relationships. I absolutely loved this class and I highly recommend it.

One thought on “American Family Issues