G stands for Global Awareness, which is an appreciation for diversity and how each individual has their own unique differences. There are many ways to show global awareness: studying abroad or taking classes with a cultural focus. I myself have shown global awareness during my high school career by taking a Cultural Diversity class and by taking a school trip to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands. My trip was absolutely amazing; the environment of the islands was a view I will never forget. It was so intriguing to me to be able to see first hand how people of a different culture live their everyday lives. My favorite part of the trip was getting to try all of the foods specific to their culture. This trip made me realize that I want to travel the world in the future.

O stands for Original Inquiry, which is the understanding of research and the researching process as a whole. Students take part in original inquiry by taking part in research opportunities and in-class scholarly endeavors. I have not yet taken part in any research opportunities, but I have received a research opportunity in emergency medicine at Nationwide Children’s Hospital! Unfortunately, I am currently unable to participate in this opportunity due to covid-19, but I am planning to start my Research during the 2021-2022 academic year!

A stands for Academic Enrichment, which is the pursuit of academic excellence through rigorous curricular experiences beyond the university norm. This can be done both in and out of the classroom. one of the few ways I have shown academic excellence myself is by maintaining a 4.0 GPA all throughout my high school, while also taking the most challenging classes as possible. I was also in many clubs, sports, and the marching during high school, all of which were extracurricular. While being here at OSU, I have also shown academic enrichment. I am a part of the Biological Sciences scholars program along with involvement in WISE (women in surgery empowerment club), Buckeyethon, and my volunteer position at the James Cancer Center in the ED.

L stands for Leadership Development, which is the development of leadership skills that can be demonstrated in several aspects of life. I have shown leadership development by being the president of several different clubs in high school, including National Honors Society, Spirit Club, and Student Council. I was also the Secretary of the senior class, section leader of the percussion section of the marching band, and number 1 in my graduating class. Aside from all of these leadership positions, I was also Varsity team captain for softball, swimming, and cross country. In college, I am now a Buckeyethon Team Captain with the hopes of soon becoming an Executive Team Caption for Buckeyethon.

S stands for Service Engagement, which is students’ s commitment to service the community. I have shown service engagement throughout my high school career by taking part in community service activities through the clubs I was involved in and by serving a mentor for my school’s peer mentoring program. I continue to show service engagement here on campus by actively serving as a volunteer here at the James Cancer Center. I have a volunteer shift every Friday morning, and I absolutely love it. I plan to volunteer again next semester! Along with my volunteering at the James, I will soon start my volunteer research position in emergency medicine at Nationwide Children’s Hospital!