My First Week at OSU:)

So much has happened in the past week at OSU that you could say would be overwhelming for most people. I am definitely one of those people, and the first week here on campus felt like an eternity within the seven days. From early move in on Thursday to the Welcome Week concert the next Friday, my life was in constant motion and seemed as though it would never stop. I loved it.

Firstly, the OWL program was something I signed up for not knowing what all it entailed. I was very surprised once I moved in and realized there was training scheduled for two hours later and continued up until Saturday, The Big Day. I was eager and ready to help though, and could not wait until Saturday morning. In my ‘flock’ as our OWL groups were called, I met and made many friends from my residence hall, many of which are in the Humanities Scholars program as well. For those two days prior to move-in, we bonded and soon became close friends. The Hoot Fest was one of the highlights of being an OWL, where we all gathered on Seibert Lawn where there were games, inflatables, and drinks. It was a great way to relax and get used to the beautiful campus we will live on for the rest of the school year. Move-in day was seemingly endless, but looking back I wouldn’t have changed my decision to become an OWL. The first part of my day was spent indoors, without air conditioning I might add, moving my peers into their rooms as fast as humanly possible. From the occasional person who stuffed what seemed like a hundred pounds of items into one trunk and left it to us to move it out of the cart without them lifting a finger, to the kids whose parents were hands on ready to help, it was a good experience to interact with those who I will live with for the year. I then got to move outside and unload cars, which surprisingly ended up being less difficult than unloading the carts in the rooms. Overall, the OWL program was a great start to my year at OSU and I am extremely grateful for being able to participate.

Sunday was also a non-stop day; from the humanities first year retreat to the Honors and Scholars Launch to the involvement fair.  I was so happy I was able to meet and interact with my mentors at the retreat and they have already taught me so much about campus life. At the honors and scholars launch and the involvement fair, I signed up for many clubs that I want to be apart of and I also learned how to achieve the G.O.A.L.S of the H & S program.

The next day, the last day before classes were starting, was once again jam packed. I was up and at ’em at 9 am for the pre convocation meeting, then on to convocation and the first year welcome event, and then to buck-i-frenzy. My favorite part about this day was of course buck-i-frenzy, where I received many free things such as t-shirts and food! What more could a college student want? But all in all it was an exhausting day, filled with friends, laughter, and new experiences to start off the first official week on campus.

The classes during the first week were not as bad as I had expected. With that being said, it was syllabus week so they weren’t supposed to be extremely difficult right off the bat. My favorite class as of right now would have to be my astronomy class, as I have a fascination with space and I am so eager to learn more about it. I also love my photography class as it gave me an excuse to buy a new, fancy camera. My French and statistics classes seem as though they will be interesting, while at the same time challenging. Lastly my humanities seminar and psychology survey courses: one credit hour each a week talking about my passions and engaging in fun and interesting activities. I cannot wait to experience the learning aspect of college more, but I pray that I can handle the many classes I chose to take.

Last but not least (and my favorite part of the week): the welcome week concert. Zedd was the main performer and the opening act was Samuel Adams. I went to the concert with three other humanities scholars and we had the time of our lives. The music was great, and we also somehow got floor wristbands- okay I’ll admit we cut the miles long line because I saw one of my friends in the front who eventually agreed to let us stand with him. On the floor we also met many people who we got to enjoy the concert with and we danced pretty much the entire night. It was such a great way to let go of all the stresses of the week and have fun.

Overall, the first week on campus, although it included a few visits to my mom’s work and a trip home, was also extremely fun and I cannot wait to see what the rest of the year holds.