Wesley Glen Halloween Party

Wesley Glen Halloween Party

October 24, 2018 – 5:15 pm – 9:15 pm

This event was done through the Biological Sciences Scholars. I volunteered to be the person who stayed outside and made sure trick-or-treaters knew where to start their candy collection journey. As a first-time Halloween party volunteer at Wesley Glen, most visitors with their children knew better about where to go than I did; therefore I felt a little awkward and a little useless. I did manage to guide a few people (hopefully to the right places—they were there for the first time like I was) which made me feel like I was at least a little helpful. I learned a little about the history of Wesley Glen from one of the workers (his name was Michael), and it was rather fascinating. Some parts of Wesley Glen were built way before I was born (in 1969 I believe). For example, the Virginia Gay area was originally for retired female teachers, as they did not have pensions, nor were they allowed to be married; originally, only women were allowed in the Virginia Gay (named after the person who decided to build the building) area. I also learned the shocking fact that some residents pay $5000 a month to live in independent apartment-like areas, and typically can only afford the payments through Medicare from the government.