Academic Support (or how I learned to stop worrying and go to tutoring)

As you may be aware from my previous posts, I am a student at the Ohio State University currently double majoring in Physics and Math. One may expect that with the undertaking of a double major there comes a fair amount of stress and homework. This is correct. I often find myself faced with several assignments due in the near future, and while some are the simple e-portfolio post or the reading of an article the assignments from my major courses (currently Physics 1250H and Math 1181H) can be quite a challenge. Due to the quick nature of these classes many of the homework assignments may cover topics that were only briefly discussed in lecture, but are important to the course nonetheless. In the past it was all I could do to read the material from the text book and try to learn what I could before going on to the assignment. Between the additional heavy reading and doing the assignment itself I had little time left to study or prepare for the weakly quizzes that Physics 1250H awards the students. For the first few weeks of courses I found this pattern to be seemingly unbreakable, and devoted copious amounts of time to work and study. I had always heard that college would be a big step up from High School, but the resources required to adequately complete all of my assignments left me with little time to eat or sleep. I knew about office hours for my professors, but the times that they were offered usually conflicted with my class schedule. Fellow students in my classes did not seem to be missing out on the sleep or calories that I was, and when asked how they managed everything they were more than happy to produce a list of study spots where one could receive extra help on assignments from upperclassmen or even graduate level students. Now these locations ranged from the usual (18th Avenue library, Thompson Library etc…) to the less common (businesses off campus and online forums). I attended a few of the sessions offered at the libraries but found them to be a little too popular to get any effective help. Some what put out I just accepted that I’d have to buckle down and get used to the strenuous life. Then one day as if by fate, after my last class of the day located in Smith Laboratory, the skies let down a bath of rain. Having no plans to slosh all the way back to my dorm in my shorts and T-shirt I sat down and began to work on my Physics homework, in the “physics lounge” of Smith Laboratory. Upon reaching a fairly nasty problem that I could not satisfactorily solve, I vocalized my frustrations rhetorically. Then the young lady across from me looked up from her book and asked me what physics I was in to which I gave the usual reply of “1250H”.  She informed me that right around the corner there was tutoring for all pre-graduate level classes, information which I had never received before. I quickly rounded the corner and found a bored looking senior sitting in a mostly empty room. When I showed him my problem not only was he able to solve it but he was also able to explain it, and ensured that I could duplicate the steps if it ever came up again. This was the kind of help and extra instruction I had needed. I now make it a habit to attend tutoring at Smith lab on Mondays and Tuesdays, and have seen improvement in my performance on my physics quizzes.