Learning Artifact 3

My third artifact is another one of my reflections, but this time it is from the online collaboration week of class. The reason I choose this is that I have never had to collaborate with anyone for a project solely online. I know that in the world we live in that I will have to do it again in the future whether it be for school or a job, and I believe this experience was an important one for me to have.

Week 3

Online Collaboration

This week’s content has been very eye-opening for me for several reasons. While I have had online classes before I have never had to collaborate with my peers like this before. It has been challenging for a few reasons, but it has also been really fun. I think that one of the main issues that I have had is making sure that everyone has time to get to meet up, and also getting back to group members it in a timely manner. I’m sure that everyone is very busy, which is part of the reason we are taking online classes, but when working in group decisions can’t be made until every group member has said their thoughts. Where the problem comes up is when a group member is caught up in business and they cannot correspond as quickly this leads to the group having to wait to make decisions and makes the project last a lot longer. Unfortunately, when in this position there is not much you can do but wait till the member is available. There is, however, precautions that all member of the group can take to make sure that the work gets done before the due date. According to Richardson(2004), we should “waste no time communicating with your group”, and I think that this is detrimental to the success of the collaboration because if you communicate as soon as possible there is a less of a chance of falling behind because of a busy schedule. This is what my group did and we were able to complete everything we needed in a timely manner. Also, to have made this easier we could have used an easier form of communication like text or GroupMe so that messages would be instant, and responding would be much quicker. I think that the next time I have to do an online collaboration I will definitely use one of these easier forms of communication.

References

Richardson, Carole. (2004). Participating in Group Projects Online. In G. M. Piskurich (Ed.), Getting the most from online learning: A learner’s guide (pp. 145-152). San Francisco: John Wiley & Sons.