Kim Brown’s Teaching Portfolio

Welcome to my Teaching Portfolio created for Nursing 7530 at The Ohio State University!

2 thoughts on “Kim Brown’s Teaching Portfolio

1. Good afternoon Kimberly. I was unable to figure out a way to post comments on your individual pages, so I decided to provide your feedback below:

Kim Brown Bio page:
    Kimberly, I loved how much detail you put into your bio page on your blog site. You reflected on how your experiences from staff nurse and preceptor to your current position as the Director of Nursing Professional Practice and Regulatory Affairs relate to your interest and passion for teaching and developing future leaders in nursing.

Kim Brown Resume page:
    On your resume, I am not sure how applicable your experience as a patient care assistant is any longer with so many higher qualifying leadership experiences. I believe you may want to change the order of your education from most recent to least recent to keep your organization consistent. Also, your resume would be more appealing if the dates lined up flush right for your involvement and presentations. This could be a different version of word issue as well.

Qualities of a Good Clinical Instructor page:
    I think you highlight fantastic attributes of effective clinical instructors. You certainly make a good point regarding the need for organizational skills for managing a clinical group. Although you don’t have direct experience as a clinical instructor, your experiences managing five different hospital certainly relates.

Philosophy of Teaching page:
    In your philosophy of teaching statement, I found I relate to your experiences as a “teacher” when you were younger. I did the same thing, but instead of stuffed animals, I used “imaginary students”. I think your statement, “It is about the opportunity we have to affect the lives of individuals in some of their most vulnerable moments.”, is truly quote worthy and inspirational to nurses and nursing students to remind us all why we do what we do no matter what area of practice we are in. I noticed you do have a typo on your link to this page in which philosophy is misspelled.

Post Conference Experience page:
    I like your idea for students to have similar diagnoses or histories related to what is being taught that week or in recent weeks in their course work. Often there is a disconnect between the classroom and clinical. This method facilitates a connection between the two while also facilitating critical thinking skills to apply what is learned in course work to the real-world setting.

Clinical Tracking Sheet page:
    Your tracking sheet is a great deal different from what I have seen and currently use in practice to track my own students. I love the simplicity of it, while still giving space for instructor or staff feedback. I also find it great that you included a student comments section, to allow for student refection to maximize learning experiences. As stated in McKeachie’s Teaching Tips- Strategies, Research, and Theory of College and University Teachers, students must be able to “judge the quality of their own work”… “the long-term purpose of feedback is that students become independent of their teachers” (Svinicki & McKeachie, 2012).

Annotated Bibliography page:
    It appears you have put together a great annotated bibliography. I would be curious to watch your presentation on different learning styles and educators can take these differences into consideration.

Teaching Goals page:
    Kimberly, you have excellent teaching goals highlighted in your blog. I like that you emphasize empathy, compassion, and effective communication skills. I too have used the same video on empathy by Brene Brown (Brown, 2013). I find her podcasts and speeches so relatable. I also found your goal of teaching teamwork to be incredibly valuable. I may incorporate your idea of having discussions around teamwork including discussing how behaviors facilitated or served as barriers to the patient care environment to my post-conference sessions with my own students.

Overall, your blog was very organized and easy to follow. I found the site informational and inspirational, while at the same time descriptive of your accomplishments, passions, and goals as an educator. Great work!

References
    Brown, B. (2013). Brene brown on empathy. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=1Evwgu369Jw

Svinicki, M. D., & McKeachie, W. J. (2012). McKeachie’s teaching tips strategies, research, and theory for college and university teachers (14th ed.). USA: Cengage Learning.