This project explored the relationship between 2D shapes and 3D forms inspired by the 2D Squares Project. The finalized designs are translated into 3D forms created out of Bristle paper and tacky glue. Orthographic planning helped breakdown the transition and guided the construction. The finalized models are meticulously placed and bound to a foam core base. Interpreting 2-dimensional drawings pushed internal visualization as they had to be elevated into space. Craft is pivotal when building these forms.
When initially creating my 12 interactions for the elevations, I focused on designs that would result in 3 different final forms. I decided on Order, Tension, and Congested; however, the individual pieces of Congested proved to scale very small when confined to a 3×3 space. Furthermore, it felt like the dramatic height changes were too similar to my tension design, so I decided to recreated my bold design in elevated form. This decision proved successful as it led to three complementary models. My original drafts required a series of trial and error. I found that practicing 2-3 times led to a cleaner final project. My construction process was the following:
- Draw the parts (usually a column shape and a base that it folds around)
- Add tabs accordingly (always trying to have the least amount of glueing possible)
- Cutting out parts
- Combine the parts together
I would do each process individually per a design. All in all, the heights of my projects show variation yet, they do not stray from the 3″x 3″ base very much, which personally helps generate a cohesive aspect. I kept the base board small as my projects are a little smaller, and it allows them to fill the space. Each of my design seem a bit random from most angles, but it aids my decision in making the top view the focus.
To see more of the process leading up to the finalized 2D to 3D Orthographic Project follow this link: