Diversity and Inclusion at Ohio State

This week I attended an event celebrating Arabic culture with a few of my friends. We decided to attend this event because it gave us the opportunity to learn about a culture that was new to most of us. We were also hoping to try some new foods because what college student doesn’t love delicious and free food. The amount of food we ate was enormous. The people serving the food wanted to make sure we left the event stuffed. They even offered to let us take some leftovers back to our dorm. It was really touching and made me feel more at home. At the beginning of the event I definitely felt a little out of place, but everyone was so nice and welcoming that my awkwardness quickly wore away. Being surrounded by kind people and great food did make me miss home. I can see why so many people join organizations relating to their culture. Having a wide community of supportive people surrounding you can be very beneficial in helping students acclimate to college life. Organizations like the Arabic Student Union not only support Arab students, but they also support students like me who want to learn more about the diverse Arab culture. ASU also supports Arabs around the world through humanitarian aid and by supporting justice and peace. They also promote a better understanding of Arab history, culture, and political, and religious diversity on campus. Each person from the organization that I engaged with was willing to answer any of my questions and did a phenomenal job educating me on their culture. The students were very open and understanding. I felt that they were truly excited to help me learn and grow my understanding of Arab culture. Organizations that increase cultural diversity awareness are crucial for creating a more welcoming and accepting campus environment. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to learn more about ASU and the amazing work they do to support Ohio State students of all backgrounds.

The topic of diversity and inclusion is very important in today’s world. People are more connected now than ever before. These connections allow us to meet people of all different backgrounds. Increases in diversity give people the opportunity to learn more about different cultures, religions, histories, and traditions. Friendships can be formed and a greater appreciation for others can be reached. By focusing on increasing diversity on campus, we can form new relationships and become more educated about the world around us and the people that live here. I wish that more students would go to these types of events and take the time to meet people different than themselves. Oftentimes people tend to keep to their own groups, but I think it is important to branch out and meet new people. I am looking forward to attending more events that focus on diversity and inclusion. I love connecting with people and learning about people’s experiences. I have learned so much by simply engaging with others.