Director Ohio State Food Innovation Center http://fic.osu.edu … 2009 to present
Professor of Food Science and Technology http://fst.osu.edu … 1990 to present
This $3.75 million Center addresses global food issues. Feeding the rapidly growing world population of nine billion by year 2040 requires a 40% increase in world food. The Center attracts 370 experts from 15 colleges to solve priority food issues. We support the Ohio Center of Excellence in Agriculture, Food Production & Bioproducts advancing a 10-year strategic plan for higher education.
American Council for Education (ACE) Fellow …2009-10
Nominated by President E Gordon Gee to a one-year fellowship at the U of Wisconsin System with President Kevin Reilly. The ACE Fellows Program® is the nation’s premier higher ed leadership development program preparing senior leaders to serve American universities since 1965.
Director, Ohio State Food Safety and Security Center, CFAES, OSU …2005 to 2009
Leader of an Ag Bioscience Center, $400k /3y, to help commercialize bioscience technologies. A coauthor of the six college Targeted Investment in Excellence winning $4.7M /5y for public health preparedness in infectious disease.
Professor and Chair, Department of Food Science and Technology, OSU …1990 – 2005
A new building attracting $12 million in a $6M campaign. Hired 25 outstanding faculty and staff during three terms as chair with a faculty earning twelve major national awards for excellence. Built national stature with the most diverse unit in the college, earning several awards including a department-wide teaching excellence prize in 2001.
Interim Director, Ohio State University Food Industries Center …2001 – 2002
Partnership with the Ohio industry and food startup ventures, help develop new products and advance Ohio food manufacture [$1.2M].
Associate Professor of Food Science, University of Wisconsin at Madison …1985 – 1990
A coauthor for the Wisconsin National Dairy Center and chair of its Research Advisory Committee.
Assistant Professor of Food Science, University of Wisconsin at Madison …1980 – 1985
Tenured on research excellence. Outreach in dairy technology. Instructed a popular cable TV course enrolling 1100 students each semester.
Education & Memberships
1980…Ph.D., Food Science and Nutrition, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
1977…M.S., Food Science and Nutrition, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
1975…B.S., Food Science, Cook College, Rutgers University, N.J., High Honors
Member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Institute of Nutrition, American Chemical Society, Institute of Food Technologists, Phi Tau Sigma, Sigma Xi, Alpha Zeta.
- Robert Spitzer Excellence in Teaching Award 1985.
- GM Trout Distinguished Lecturer 1990.
- Elected Fellow of the IFT [Institute of Food Technologists], Chicago IL 1998.
- President of the Food Update Foundation, 2001.
- Ohio State Commencement Address Dec. 7, 2001. http://hdl.handle.net/1811/54006
- OSU Extension Diversity Enhancement Award, 2002.
- Rutgers University Distinguished Alumnus, Food Science, 2002.
- US Food and Drug Administration Advisory Committee Service Award, 2002-05.
- National IFT Carl R. Fellers Award, for honor and recognition to the profession 2007.
- President of Phi Tau Sigma, Honorary Society of the Food Science Profession, 2011-12.
- Ohio State University Distinguished Diversity Enhancement Award,
- Harold Macy Food Science & Technology Award for outstanding tech transfer, MN IFT, 2014.
- Elected Fellow of AAAS [American Association for the Advancement of Science], 2015.
- Phi Tau Sigma Special Recognition Award, 2016.
- National IFT Myron Solberg Award 2019, for industry-government-academia cooperation.
- ~ University Senate Rules Committee Chair 2020. Oversight of the faculty rules that enable our academic mission and ethical conduct.
- ~ Promotion and Tenure Committee Chair, FST department, 2019-
- ~ Awards Committee Chair, FST department 2015-19. Author of 14 successful national award and fellow nominations in the profession of food.
- ~ Ohio State Athletic Council 2016-20. Academic progress and eligibility committee. Past chair of ESAW (Equity and Student-Athlete Well-being) committee 2017.
- ~ University Senate Steering Chair, elected two sequential terms, 2014, 2015. Sets the agenda for the senate comprised of students, faculty and administrators.
- ~ Twice elected to Senate Steering, 2012-2016. The senate’s committee on committees.
- ~ Research in View Advisory Committee, 2014-5. University faculty performance review.
- ~ Elected to Ohio State Senate, Rules Committee Member, 2011-13. Author of teaching rule for P&T.
- ~ CFAES Diversity Catalyst Team, 2007-p. Help ensure diversity is a core value of our college.
- ~ Food Policy Faculty Search Committee, John Glenn School of Public Policy, 2011-12.
- ~ Seiberling Endowed Professor Search Committee Chair, OSUFST, 2014.
- ~ Ronald Harris Distinguished Excellence Award, 2004-8, 2011-14.
- ~ Department committees included Sensory Search, Executive, Awards, Harris Award, Outreach Co-chair, Parker Endowed Chair Search 2015, P&T Chair 2017.
- ~ College P&T Chair, Approved 13 dossiers and six new college department chairs.
- ~ Elected Ohio State Senate, Fiscal Committee, Central Distributions Subcommittee, 2008-11.
- ~ The Committee on Academic Freedom and Responsibility member, 2009-11.
- ~ University Faculty Hearing Committee Chair, 2007-8. Independent review of personnel actions.
- ~ Senate Legislative Affairs Committee Chair, 2003-4. Support legislation affecting higher education.
- ~ OAA Department Teaching Excellence Award Author of a successful nomination.
- ~ Student Judiciary Panel, 2006-10. Hearings on non-academic student misconduct.
- ~ Targeted Investment in Excellence Steering, 2006-11. Administer a $4.7M competitive award for scholarly solutions to public health and food safety.
- ~ Campaign for Food Science, academic leader 1995-2000. We exceeded the goal by 100%, raising $12M for endowed chairs, scholarships, multipurpose gifts and endowments.
- ~ Center for Food Defense, 2004. Leadership of a five university team proposing a food defense center for the Department of Homeland Security [OSU, NCSU, Georgia, IIT, and Michigan State].
- ~ University Search Committees; include Dean of Human Ecology, Vice-Provost for Academic Policy, Associate VP for Ag Admin, Graduate School Dean, VP Development, Discovery Theme Director.
Board of Directors of the IFT, elected by members 2019-21. Set strategic priorities for the society.
Higher Learning Commission Peer Corps oversees accreditation of higher ed, North Central Region.
Board of Advisors & Founding Partner (Lee, Phil Perkins of Bush Bros., George Young of Kalypso) 2014-p FoodBev Forum, Network of senior food industry executives.
President Phi Tau Sigma 2011-12. Represents integrity in the profession of food science, administers student awards, hosts the national Carl Fellers Achievement Award and Livingston Award.
Board of Governors, Center for Innovative Food Technology (CIFT) Toledo, OH, 1996-2015. An Ohio Edison Center to assist food industry competitiveness.
IFT Fellows Task Force Chair 2015-16. Increased stature and successful industry nominations.
IFT Fellows Task Force Co-Chair 2017. New qualifications based on new membership structure.
IFT Diversity Task Force 2017-p. Strategic plan for diversity.
~ National Elected Positions
- Conference Chair, Northern Regional Research Center, 1982;
- Program Chair, Wisconsin IFT, 1982;
- Chair, Wisconsin IFT, 1983;
- Councilor, National IFT 1984-1990;
- IFT Committee on Nominations and Elections (1990-93).
- IFT Executive Committee, 1996-98.
- IFT Fellow, 1997.
- President of Food Update Foundation, 2000-1.
- President of Phi Tau Sigma 2012.
~ National Appointed Positions (last 20y)
- Chair, IFT National Awards Committee, 1996.
- Aspen Publishing Co. Editorial Board, 1995-02.
- Food Update Foundation Board of Directors, 1996-04.
- National Academy of Sciences Doctoral Review Planning Committee, 1996.
- Chair, Samuel Cate Prescott Award 1997;
- Chair, Task Force on Leadership Through Education, 1997;
- IFT Outcome-based Education Committee, 1998.
- AACC Professional Development Panel, 1999.
- Chair, IFT Consumer Outreach Task Force, 2000.
- Chair, IFT Consumer Communications Task Force, 2001.
- Food Advisory Committee, Toxicant and Contaminants Subcommittee, U.S. FDA 2002-2006.
- Senior Food Officials Committee, 2002-06.
- Cornell University food science external review team 2004.
- Virgo Publishing Company Food Science Advisory Board, 2006-2010.
- Lifelong Learning IFT Management Committee, 2007
- Chair, IFT Continuing Education Advisory Committee, 2007.
- IFT Fellows Task Force, 2008
- Phi Tau Sigma Finance Committee 2012-p
- IFT Fellers Award Jury Chair, 2012
- Editorial Board CRC Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 1987-2012