Final Project & Reflection

Final Project Overview

My final project was slightly unconventional but fitting for the chaotic times we were in. As my time in Milan, Italy was cut short due to the COVID-19 outbreak all around the world, I came back to the United States in mid to late March. With uncertainty surrounding future abroad programs and even the state of travel, it came into question what should be done for students still hoping to gain an abroad experience.

In collaboration with the Global Option manager, we worked on a possible alternative option for students who were not able to go abroad but who still wanted some sort of global immersion. The goal was to create a business related dialogue between students internationally. I gave my input as to what would be some productive talking points between an OSU student and another student from another country. I came up with some potential touch-points that could be used for the project. The three main areas I was able to come up with were Leadership and Management, Business Ethics and Globalization. With these base topics, I created some sub-topics that could be used to hopefully generate a productive, meaningful conversation between business students no matter where they might be from.

Final Project Reflection

All in all, I was extremely happy to be helping Global Option with this project. I felt that as I was someone whose abroad program was directly impacted by the pandemic, I knew just how disheartening and frustrating it might be for those that were planning on going abroad. I remember the pure sadness I felt when it became apparent that the pandemic would not be something that would ‘blow over’ while abroad. It was hard having to come home, but even harder knowing just how great it could’ve been. That being said, I was more than willing to contribute my input into this project manifested from the unfortunate times.

Although nothing truly compares to being in the country itself and actually experiencing the sights, culture and people, I’m glad the program posed an alternative to students. As mentioned before, I created business topic touch points along the lines of Business Ethics, Leadership and Globalization. I picked these topics as I thought they would lend themselves to an interesting conversation as they might differ between countries. My touch points were implemented with a bit of modification and I’m glad I got to contribute to a project that I could relate to.

From this project I had a few key takeaways. One of the major ones was that it’s necessary to take your experiences and apply it to a particular situation. For example, since I was a exchange student I was able to put myself in the shoes of the students the project was geared towards. I believe that being able to relate and empathize with others is important in any situation. Another key takeaway that I had was it’s important to try and make the best out of any situation. While COVID-19 obviously put a halt to many people’s plans it, I’m glad that this project tried to salvage what it could to help others still have an impactful ‘virtual’ abroad experience.

This project impacted me in a very positive way. It felt nice to give back to a program that gave me some of my best times at Ohio State. I’m glad that my suggestions were used to help other students and that the project was a success. Even though this project emerged from unfortunate times, I’m glad we were able to make the best of it and that I was able to use my problem-solving skills. I’m excited to take what I’ve learned from this experience with me into future endeavors!

Global Option Final Reflection/Accomplishments

Throughout my past four years at Ohio State I would say that I have not only accomplished my goals for Global Option but I’ve surpassed them. This experience has allowed me to reach new heights and to push my comfort zone beyond what I ever thought I’d be able to achieve prior.  To refer back to my goals they were as followed;

1. Develop professionally for international work cultures.
  2. Become more acquainted with different cultures.
  3. Be more adaptable to change

I think that the Global Option Program has helped me tremendously in terms of my professional development. My internship in Spain truly propelled my understanding of different work cultures as I learned how to handle different situations, navigate social and professional customs in Spain, and of course how to communicate with a language barrier. I feel that if I were thrown into a new type of work environment I would easily be able to catch on and put my best foot forward. While Spain tackled all three of my goals for Global Option, my time and courses at Bocconi University in Milan did as well. It was in Italy that I really became acquainted with the Italian culture and experienced the flexibility needed to spend time abroad. As I was studying in what became one of the epicenters of the European COVID-19 outbreak, we had to be extremely adaptable as we handled this new situation day by day. It was a very memorable experience and I’m grateful for the few months I got to spend in Italy.

My highlights of the Global Option process are extensive. Each of the criteria from this program had its own highlight, so it’s definitely hard to just choose one. From my experience abroad in Spain, I would say my highlight was the simple ‘siesta’ I’d get in the middle of each day. During this 2-3 hour break, I would either spend it exploring the city independently, grabbing a bite to eat with my coworkers, or just relaxing in the central Plaza. There was something so great about having this time to myself each day to really do whatever I wanted. It was the perfect reset in the middle of the day and it was certainly something I took for granted when I came back to the United States. When I explored by myself during this time I really got a sense of independence and it helped me feel comfortable doing things completely on my own. From my Global Course, a.k.a my Student Exchange at Bocconi University in Milan, I think the highlight of this was the people I met. I found that the friends I made on this trip were once in a lifetime. Together we navigated more than I could have ever imagined, whether it be just adapting to Italian university or the entire COVID crisis– I couldn’t have done any of it without the friends I made.

I think that the top three things that I’ve gained through this program are a sense of familiarity with foreign etiquette, the confidence to handle situations outside of my comfort zone and new knowledge of marketing concepts that I will be able to take with me into my career. In my opinion, I would be a completely different person if it weren’t for my time in this program and participating in the abroad programs that I did. That being said, my views, perspectives and even behaviors have been affected by my time abroad in a very positive light.

With the new knowledge, I have gained from this experience, I find myself applying it to all situations I encounter in my life whether small or serious. I plan to apply what I’ve learned about adaptability to future situations in my personal and professional lives. As my internship and semester abroad both focused on Marketing, this will come in handy as I move forward finding the correct career path. I plan to take what I’ve learned from my French courses with me as I hopefully am able to spend some time in France at some point. And above all, I will take what I’ve learned to create more meaningful experiences that immerse me globally.

After reviewing all of my experiences through the Global Option program I can’t help but feel nostalgic for all the great memories and experiences that Ohio State has brought me. This program has been so fulfilling and I can’t endorse it enough. If you are someone who is at all interested in different cultures, countries, or languages I think that this program is the perfect excuse to follow these passions further even if your particular major has nothing to do with global matters. This program has helped develop my character and skills in such a profound way through its well-rounded criteria. All in all, if you are at all considering it, it’s 100% worth your time.

(Global Option completion photo)