Biography

Hello, my name is Madison Kelly and I’m a current senior at The Ohio State University’s Fisher College of Business studying Marketing with a minor in French. I’m from Dublin Ohio, so I’m relatively close to campus and my family. I came into Ohio State very excited to take part in the great global programs that the university has to offer.

Throughout my time at OSU I’ve gotten the chance to become involved in some great organizations around campus. Sophomore year I was a concert photographer for The Lantern, where I got to combine my love of music with my love for Photography. I’ve also gotten the chance to be a writer for Scarlette Magazine, Ohio State’s premiere fashion magazine. Later on during my junior year I joined Phi Gamma Nu, a professional business fraternity, where I’ve worked on the Marketing and Recruitment team. I have enjoyed getting to use my creativity during my involvement in all of these, and I hope that I can use it in a future career as well. I love to travel and have enjoyed my adventures with my family as well as with OSU over the past for years. I think that learning more about different cultures is extremely fascinating and I’m hoping that I’ll get to incorporate my experience with marketing into global company after graduation.

Why I decided to pursue Global Option

During my time at OSU I’ve gotten the wonderful opportunity to participate in both a Global Internship in Madrid, Spain and a semester abroad on the Student Exchange Program in Milan, Italy. I have always loved travel and experiencing new cultures and think that it has been integral to not only my character, but overall learning experience. My mother is from the Philippines so traveling across the world became a normal occurrence at a young age. As someone who is hoping to work internationally, I think that all my experience abroad has helped prepare me for a life of travel in the future. I think it’s important for everyone to step outside of their comfort zone and pursue opportunities abroad whether it be for travel, study or work.

I’ve decided to pursue the Global Option program because it encapsulates the amazing abroad experiences I’ve had with Ohio State, and hopefully prompt others to try the same thing too. It’s been great to reflect on my experiences and involvement within Ohio State’s abroad programs, I have nothing but encouraging words for those hoping to consider them. I think I decided to pursue the Global Option program not only because it’s the next step in the OSU abroad journey but because it is a reflection of how well it has helped me develop academically and professionally.

My Goal for Global Options

My goals for the Global Option program are as followed;

1. Develop professionally for international work cultures.
  2. Become more acquainted to different cultures.
  3. Be more adaptable to change

As mentioned before, I would love to become more acquainted with professional work cultures for I’d like to work abroad in the future. Different countries have different work customs so it’s important to have a grasp on them prior to being introduced. Similarly, I believe experience with work abroad proves as a major advantage in working with any employer. For my second goal, I would like to become acquainted with different types of cultures. My abroad experience has allowed me to gain experience in both Spain and Italy but I would love to learn how other Non-European cultures function too. This will help in giving me a more well-rounded look on the world. Lastly, my third goal is to become more adaptable to change. Any time abroad warrants the ability to be adaptable to situations. Things can change at any instant and you must be flexible to deal with them. Being adaptable is good in any type of situation whether it be abroad or here in the United States.