Roasted Chicken Legs with Root Veggies and Sourdough
Step one: prepare the chicken Legs
- 6-8 chicken legs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar can substitute)
- salt and black pepper to taste
Step two: prepare the root veggies
- 1.5 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 thick rounds
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme (fresh or dry)
- dash of dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-5 garlic cloves, thin sliced
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
- 3-4 pieces of bread, cut into one inch cubes (sourdough preferred, but use what you have)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, season the chicken legs with the oil, salt, pepper, honey and lemon juice. Reserve.
- In another bowl, toss the carrots with the rest of the ingredients together. Spread evenly on a sheet pan.
- Place a roasting rack over the carrots and line the chicken on top of the rack.
- Pour any remaining marinade over the chicken.
- Roast in oven for around 45 minutes, or until internal temperature of chicken in 165 degrees.
- Serve immediately with a simple salad or on its own.
Kale and Egg Skillet
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces onion, thin sliced
- 1 clove garlic, thin sliced
- 1 cup kale, rough chopped
- you can use spinach, collard green, chard or even bok choy!
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- apple cider/red wine/rice wine vinegar can substitute
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- dash of red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium size, ovenproof skillet, heat the oil.
- Sauté the onion for a few minutes, until it becomes translucent.
- Add the leafy greens and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add a tablespoon of water to help “steam” the greens.
- Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Turn off heat.
- Use a spoon to make a well in the center of the skillet and crack eggs into the well.
- Bake in oven until the yolks just start to set, about 6-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and peppers, and serve immediately.
- Goes well with a slice of sourdough or multigrain toast!