We are interested in spintronics, valleytronics, magnetism, and topological states in 2D materials and thin film heterostructures. Our experimental activities span materials growth, device fabrication, ultrafast optical microscopy, and spin-polarized STM.
- Prospective graduate students please email Dr. Kawakami (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ohio State undergraduate students please contact Dr. Kawakami, and fill in the application form.
- September 20, 2018: Jinsong’s work on “Strong and tunable spin lifetime anisotropy in dual-gated bilayer graphene” is published in Physical Review Letters and highlighted in Physics. Congratulations!
- August 18: Congratulating Jyoti and Simran for their new jobs at Carnegie Mellon Univerisity! Great Job Assistant Professor Katoch and Research Assistant Professor Singh!
- July 18: Congratulations to Dr. Elizabeth McCormick and Dr. Jinsong Xu passing their Ph.D. exams! Good luck on your future endeavors!
- 5/7/18: Our graduate student Yunqiu (Kelly) Luo has been awarded a Presidential Fellowship by the OSU graduate School! The Presidential Fellowship is the most prestigious award given by the Graduate School. Read more on the Physics Department Homepage.
- 3/9/18: Our graduate students Yunqiu (Kelly) Luo and Dante O’Hara are awarded APS GMAG and DCMP student travel awards. They are featured in GMAG Newsletter!
- 2/1/18: Our PhD student Elizabeth (Bushong) McCormick’s graduate school life story: “Presidential Fellows: A True Buckeye Love Story” is featured in our recent Physics Magazine !
- 1/22/18: Congratulations on Dr. Jyoti Katoch’s work on “Giant spin-splitting and gap renormalization driven by trions in single-layer WS2/h-BN heterostructures” published in Nature Physics! Great Job Jyoti! Click here for a press release from Advanced Light Source (ALS) at Department of Energy’s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) .
- 1/19/18: Congratulations to Kelly winning Young Scientist Award at PCSI 45 Conference for her upgraded talk titled “Opto-valleytronic spin injection in MoS2/graphene hybrid spin valve”!
- 1/12/18: Congratulations on Walid Amamou and Igor Pinchuk’s work on “Magnetic Proximity Effect on Pt/CoFeO4 Bilayers” published in Physics Review Materials and selected as Editors’ Suggestion!
- 11/20/17: Congratulations on Dr. Simranjeet Singh and Dr. Jyoti Katoch’s work on “Strontium Oxide Tunnel Barriers for High Quality Spin Transport and Large Spin Accumulation in Graphene” published in Nano Letters!
- 11/06/17: Congratulations on Beth McCormick’s work on “Imaging Spin Dynamics in Monolayer WS2 by Time-Resolved Kerr Rotation Microscopy” accepted in 2D materials!
- 07/01/17: Congratulations for Dr. Walid Amamou and Dr. Adam S. Ahmed for passing their Ph.D. defense exams. Good luck on your future endeavors!
- 06/08/17: Congratulations on the successful commencement of 2017 Workshop on Spins, Valleys, and Topological States in 2D and Layered Materials at Ohio State Center for Emergent Materials!
- 05/30/17: Great job Kelly! Opening up the field of 2D optospintronics with “Optovalleytronic Spin Injection in Hybrid Monolayer MoS2/Few-Layer Graphene Hybrid Spin Valves” published in Nano Letters!