Columbus TO-DO List

This semester I have chosen to focus on visiting Columbus Parks and recreation. I really enjoy getting the opportunity to escape campus and explore the areas of Columbus that are surrounded by the natural world. Living in the big city is exciting and there is always some new restaurant or fancy concert venue to visit; but I like the simplicity of a park and the atmosphere of the bike path. When I spend time running on the Olentangy Trail I feel a sense of community with everyone that passes. I can admire the athletes, smile at the families, and greet every dog; while appreciating the amazing resources right outside Morrill Tower. This list will encourage me to experience the outdoors and introduce me to others who share my passion for nature focused recreation.

I have visited the Park of Roses and I loved taking time out of my day to look around. It was a much-needed break from rushing across campus to the next class and ignoring my surroundings. I am a very observant individual and I “people watch” everywhere I go. I believe that the way people act in their environment can explain a lot about the world; therefore, I study behaviors, reactions, interactions, and emotions of random people that I see in places that I really love. At the Park of Roses, there were two younger girls accompanied by their father who were walking large dogs on the path. As I approached, the dogs steered towards me and I smiled. The group returned my expression and on I continued. Although the moment lasted only a few seconds, being at this park made me feel connected and secure. At Ohio State it is easy to feel a universal stress with school, homework and exams; but at the Park of Roses I felt at peace and this emotion was returned by all the people that I encountered. It was great to experience this tone with my friends and ENR Scholars. I have been to this park with my parents, my friends, and by myself a few times and I will always return. The park offers the chance to see something beautiful in mother nature and in human nature and to escape campus for a short period of time. It also creates a calm atmosphere that refreshes my spirit and inspires me to look beyond the next assignment or upcoming class, and focus on my blessings. I would recommend this park to anyone who wants to spend an afternoon getting to know themselves and appreciation the beauty of Columbus Metro Parks. There are so many interconnected parks and trails, and by taking advantage of these amazing locations one can experience the best aspects of a big city.