Sophomore Year G.O.A.L.S Reflection

Centering my focus towards a career in dentistry, my Sophomore year has been a period of rapid growth and development in my life, especially in cultivating skills and experiences that broaden my knowledge and understanding of both other people and myself. The following reflection will delve into 5 key categories where I will briefly talk about progress I’ve made in realizing or working on the subject of the paragraph.

To begin, I would like to comment on my expansion of awareness in global affairs and cultures of other people. Specifically, my most in-depth experience came about during my service outings to My Family Pantry through the Pre-Dental Club, which will continue into the foreseeable future until I graduate. At My Family Pantry, groceries are prepared and given to a diverse local community of Hispanic, African American, and Somali citizens that require assistance through meal plans. Most importantly, we get to live through the manner in which different cultures communicate with each other. I value these chances to talk and watch these different cultures deal with their own lives and adapt to the localities, and I plan to continue to learn about the values and interests of these people through service.

Next, I will discuss some of the inquiry-based efforts I have made throughout the school year to enrich my educational experiences. Primarily, my ability to explore topics through independent research has come through my time in Biology 3401 in my first semester, where we were tasked with exploring different symbioses and species of animals which could be used as mediums for delivering a more general and meaningful presentation about biological terms. In one example, my group investigated the validity of the claim that Airborne, the commonly advertised treatment for the cold, flu, or general immune system boosting, is actually effective. It was valuable to practice our research techniques and implement them in a way that will convince others of our conclusion.

At this point, I will very briefly discuss (as it is evidenced in my Honors Contract) my attempt to challenge myself thoroughly my academics and pursue excellence through coursework. Due to my goal of completing a Biology major and Business minor, I have incorporated plentiful 3000-level courses and above to meet requirements that will naturally challenge my ability to successfully understand and use difficult material.

Next, I will mention some of the activities that I have participated in to advance my leadership abilities from things as small as driving others to volunteering to something as important as running for leadership abilities in a club. Specifically, I am currently involved in the Pre-Dental Club at OSU and SEAD, which is a more service-based and minority representation-based club. Recently, I ran for the position of treasurer for the Pre-Dent Club, which is the largest undergraduate dental club at OSU, and while I was not successful, I was told by the current leadership and Graduate School Adviser Terry Porter that I gave an amazing speech and response to the questions. I was encouraged to continue my involvement in the club and run again after more than a year in the club so that I can have club experiences to back my passion. Furthermore, I am still in consideration for a position in SEAD, and even if I am not accepted for a leadership position, I plan to continue helping others and acting in a way that a leader would regardless of a specific title in a club.

Finally, as both SEAD and the Pre-Dental Club have an abundance of volunteering opportunities, I have been very involved in the local community. I have volunteered at OSU Dental Alumni Tailgate, My Family Pantry, Starhouse (another food pantry and clothing store for under-served communities), and the Boys and Girls Club of Columbus. Through these locations, I constantly strive to provide struggling people with an outlet to communicate and talk to others about their lives in any way they are comfortable, and to give back to the community through groceries, clothing, or simply my work and conversation.