Artifacts

Volunteering on MLK day – A specific event that I feel like I have learned how important supporting a community is the MLK day of service event, in which we learned how just offering a couple hours of my day can make such a big difference to so many people that are in need. Generally we think that someone else is always going to be willing to make the difference and be able to help and do more for the world than you, and so it doesn’t make sense for you to donate or give up anything. But this even showed me that it is essential to make a difference in the community if you have the ability, since you can’t determine what others will do with their lives however, you can dictate what you can do with your life. This event showed me the importance of making a difference if you have the ability to, is essential and is what will create a more progressive world. A large part of my life I have been volunteering, whether it may or may not be on the books, from handing food at out local temple or my proudest accomplishment renovating a softball field. The reason that I enjoy this activity is because it always gives me that sense of being a good person in a tough world, or maybe the Robin that helps the less fortunate. Although some may view volunteering as nothing more than I chore, I truly have a passion for helping others, as I feel like I have the ability to make a difference in such a difficult world. I don’t think an experience like this has changed me as a person but rather it has reaffirmed me that I am a good person and capable of changing the world in a small way, as MLK once said “if you can’t do something great, then do something small in a great way”.