Week 7 – Andy Warhol

• What item did you select to represent you? Why did you choose this item?
    • I chose a photo of some sunflowers I had taken a few years ago at a Sunflower farm. Sunflowers have always been one of my favorite flowers. I love their bright yellow color and how tall and strong they stand. I also love how clearly the follow sunshine and always felt following the sun was a good lesson to take away from sunflowers. I have also been compared to sunflowers by friends and teachers because of my bubbly personality, blonde hair, and favorite color being yellow.
  • What was Andy Warhol’s “big idea” – what ideas was he exploring in his artwork? What was he trying to say? Do you think his ideas on popular culture have merit?
    • Warhol was glorifying and also criticizing consumption habits of consumers. He focused on mass produced things like Coca-Cola and Campbell’s Soup and also focused on celebrities like Marilyn Monroe. He used ordinary and well-known objects/persons to provide insight on the values of society.
  • What relationship does this item have to pop(ular) culture? Will other people connect to this item? Why or why not?
    • I think people will obviously know what sunflowers are and will be able to at least recognize them as flowers. I don’t think people will connect with them the same way I do. They are not a part of pop culture the same way Marilyn Monroe or Coca-Cola is.