The Fifty Three Stations of the Tōkaidō Manga Scroll (Video)
Though the title is The Fifty Three Stations of the Tōkaidō Manga Scroll, the paintings are numbered 1 through 55. This is because the starting location, Nihonbashi, and the final destination, Kyōto, were not numbered in Utagawa (Andō) Hiroshige’s original The Fifty-Three Stations of the Tōkaidō (1833–1834 in the Hōeidō edition), and the manga scroll follows this precedent. Japanese names are given throughout in Japanese order, family name first and given name last.
Tōkaidō Manga Scroll (1920s)
- Tōkaidō Manga Scroll – Stations 1 – 27, with translation
- Tōkaidō Manga Scroll – Stations 1 – 27, station name and artist only
- Tōkaidō Manga Scroll – Stations 28 – 55, with translation
- Tōkaidō Manga Scroll – Stations 28 – 55, station name and artist only
The scroll displayed here, along with another exemplar, was acquired as part of the manga collections in The Ohio State University’s Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum.
Additional Resources in Japanese related to the Tōkaidō Manga Scroll :
- Link to a library in Japan that discusses the Tōkaidō Manga Scroll (in Japanese)
- Link to discussion of scroll (in Japanese) Youtube Link
- Link to artist list Artist list in Japanese