National Road/Route 40 (Maps and other resources)
- National Road This is an article which gives a brief history of the National Road. In the article it is listed which states the road runs through as well as why it was constructed. The article also features 5 pictures.
- Highlights along the National Road in Ohio Automobile travel in the early 1900s was a bumpy, muddy mess in this country, so the Lincoln Highway became the super road of its time. Such two-lane highways may seem quaint today, but following the Lincoln Highway through Ohio is great for fans of the state’s history and a more leisurely road trip. – More details
- National Road (Route 40) and U.S. 20 in Ohio This is a website that someone created after they travelled along the Lincoln highway, It talks about sightseeing, history and current conditions along the road.
- Maps of the National Road (Route 40)
- Maps of National Road (Route 40 in Ohio)
- Route 40 Map/History (National Park Service)
- National Road Map (National Park Service)
- National Road Timeline (National Park Service
- National Road Lesson Plan Unit (National Park Service)
- Lincoln Highway Newspaper articles (1913)
- National Highway Digital Image Collection
Route 66 resources
- The Route 66 Primer: A Brief History This website features a brief history on Route 66 along with an interactive map. You can click on any Route 66 State or the East or West Route 66 shields to start your “travels” on the Mother Road in either direction. Pages will open to the particular state you choose; from there you will find an interactive state map
- Route 66 Federation: History of route 66 This site gives information on route 66 throughout various time frames such as, the formative years, the depression years and the war, the postwar years, etc.
- TIME USA: A brief history of route 66 Here is a 3 page article about route 66’s beginning its more current state. The article mentions things about pop culture which are related to route 66 and the impact that it had on society in the past.
- National Historic route 66 federation: The global Route 66 organization Here information is listed on an organization which strives to preserve route 66. Today, the National Historic Route 66 Federation is the worldwide, nonprofit organization dedicated to directing the public’s attention to the importance of U. S. Highway Route 66 in America’s cultural heritage and acquiring the federal, state and private support necessary to preserve the historic landmarks and revitalize the economies of communities along the entire 2,400-mile stretch of road.
- Route 66: Heritage Travel Itinerary This website features information on the history of route 66 as well as links to maps of the route. There is also a tab with links to essays written about route 66. U.S. Highway 66 — popularly known as Route 66 or the Mother Road — holds a special place in American consciousness and evokes images of simpler times, mom and pop businesses, and the icons of a mobile nation on the road. This travel itinerary aids the public to visit the historic places that recall those images and experiences that are reminders of our past and evidence of the influence of the automobile.
- Back in Time: Route “66” The Mother Road This article gives a brief background of the roads early years and features a small map of the road in a cross-country view