1830’s ukiyo-e (woodblock prints)
- Background of ukiyo-e
- ukiyo-e by Utagawa (Andō) Hiroshige
- ukiyo-e and the Tōkaidō Road (all versions by Utagawa (Andō) Hiroshige)
- The Fifty-Three Stations of the Tōkaidō Road (1833-34 version)
- Interactive map with comparison of all versions of each station of the Tōkaidō Road prints by Utagawa (Andō) Hiroshige
- Database of all ukiyo-e prints
1920’s Tōkaidō Manga Scroll
- Background of the Tōkaidō Manga Scroll
- Tōkaidō Manga Scroll Video:
- Artist: Okamoto Ippei
- Okamoto ask the local farm woman to turn around so he can take a photo. She refuses.
- Mishima (三島, みしま)
- onna (女, おんな) – Woman.
- shashin (写真, しゃしん) – Photograph; photo.
- kamera/shashinki (カメラ/写真器, しゃしんき) – Camera
- iyagaru (嫌がる, いやがる) – To hate; to dislike.
- hazukashigaru (恥ずかしがる, はずかしがる) – To be shy; to be bashful; to be abashed.
- kotowaru (断る, ことわる) – To refuse; to reject; to dismiss; to turn down; to decline.
- Vocabulary List of all Tōkaidō Stations
- Interactive map of Tōkaidō with contemporary photographs
- Mishima (Japanese)
- “The Old Tokaido” (Day 4) Youtube Link
- (Covers stations (10-12): Odawara, Hakone, Mishima)