Leadership: What and Who

Leadership to me is being able to get done what you need to get done while using the resources available, but more importantly being able to care for the well-being and development of those under you.

Back in middle school I tried out for the basketball team. Now, I wasn’t the biggest, strongest, or fastest, so when we had the cuts during tryout week I doubted that I would make it any further in tryout week. But the last day of tryouts rolled around and we were all sent home with a letter, some saying “Congratulations! You’ve made the team,” others saying “I’m sorry, but you have not made the team.” I was so doubtful of myself that when I got home my mom had to open my letter for me… I made the team. The next day at practice I went up to my coach and asked him, “Coach, not that I’m not happy. But how did I make the team?” He told me it was because of the effort put in. He assured me that he could teach me how to shoot but nobody can teach effort and dedication.

The reason I chose Coach Rawlings as my leader example is because he fit my definition of leadership; he chose to help me develop as a basketball player rather than worry just about winning. The second reason I chose him is because, even after that basketball season, he continued to be someone I could go to whenever I needed help. He never turned me away and always tried to help me develop further along throughout my high school career.