Module 5: Web-Enhanced Listening and Viewing Strategies

It is easy to assume when going into college that your old study habits from high school will work just as well. Unfortunately, that is not the case, the students who are used to getting all A’s with only studying for a couple of hours the night before the test are typically the students who struggle the most when they enter college. This was the case for me. I thought I could get away with only studying one day/night before an exam and still get a good grade, but I quickly realized I could not. The material in college is a lot more rigorous no matter what you are majoring in. My advice to students who are incoming freshman is to not underestimate the demands college courses will bring. Here are some tips that will allow you to get off on the right foot (Slides 4 and 5):

1. Although some professors do not require you to attend class, my recommendation is to attend as much as you can. Act like class attendance is mandatory. This will ensure you do not miss any important announcements or due dates.
  2. The live lectures are not always all-encompassing of the material on the exam. It is important to read the materials in the provided book as well.
  3. Decide on a note-making method early on so you can continue to use this method and organize your notes.
  4. Make sure you keep up with due dates and catch yourself up if you miss work. Unlike high school, professors will not hound you to turn in missed work so you will only hurt yourself in the long run.

Thankfully I learned the importance of these tips after taking only a couple of exams. I realized that I needed to study for a lot of my exams at least a week in advance and create a structured study plan. I also learned the importance of taking detailed notes that I could use in my studies. I hope these tips are helpful for anyone who is struggling in their college courses!