Procrastination

The most useful thing I learned on module this week is about procrastination. Definitely, it is easy to procrastinate. The module tells what I usually do in my life. I always tell myself that there is still enough time for me to finish the work. So, it is ok to play for some more time, for more time and for more time. And I will never start the work until it is really near the due date.

Recently I am reading a book about procrastination, called <>. It tells me how to solve the problem. There are several classifications of procrastination, including deadline procrastination, self-imposed obstacle procrastination, and distraction procrastination. In response to all kinds of procrastination, the author William Knaus proposed three methods of procrastination. The first: cognitive method, this method requires breaking away from the control of self-consciousness, observing one’s own behavior and symptoms of procrastination from an objective perspective, and determining the determination to change. The main weapon of the cognitive method is the five-step change method, namely awareness, action, adjustment, self-acceptance, and self-realization. Proficiency in the use of the five-step change method will enable you to face procrastination at the cognitive level. The second: emotional method, this method mainly describes the relationship between emotion and reason, and puts forward a hypothetical model of “horse and knight”. Using this method, you can get rid of emotional control, make rational decisions and put them into action. The third type: action method. This is the most important way to end procrastination. On the basis of the first two methods, it is necessary to gradually develop a plan to overcome procrastination. The author provides an effective weapon, that is, the five-minute principle. Using the five-minute principle, you can break down tasks, increase mental tolerance, and long-term execution will gradually produce benign habits and completely end procrastination. Do you remember these three methods? I sincerely wish you all get rid of the shackles of procrastination, succeed in the war, and prove the 10,000-hour law with practice.

Reference: Slide 3. https://osu.instructure.com/courses/91563/pages/lesson-module-3?module_item_id=4991658