Final Project & Reflection

Final Project Overview

For our final paper, I choose to research and discuss the impacts of globalization and Americanization. This project required me to find at least three credible sources about my topic and create a well-versed paper. I took the idea of globalization a step further and tried to focus more on popular culture, but many of the ideas in my paper are on a broader scale and take a wide look at the effects of globalization. After analyzing my sources, I also created a Pecha Kucha presentation about my topic.

Final Project Reflection

Going in to this paper, I had expected to only find negative sources about this topic. However, I was surprised to find many positive responses to this phenomenon. Some of the more negative perspectives covered the history of globalization, which started from the idea of Westernization. In this instance, many cultures were oppressed and replaced with Western ideas and products in an effort to “modernize” these nations. As time has gone on, this is still an issue, but globalization today has sparked a lot of cultural exchanges. To me, this is a positive occurrence as people can be connected no matter where they are in the world. I think that popular culture has played a huge role in this, especially with American films or shows. Many American films are topping global box offices and these stories and characters resonate with so many people around the world. This phenomenon doesn’t divide us, but allows us to be even closer and have more in common with one another. It’s amazing that I could go half way around the world and still discuss my favorite movie or book with a random stranger.

Even as popular culture is uniting us, we still must respect and desire to learn more about other nations. Many mediums today, like film or social media, allow the world to see other nations and cultures like we never have been able to before. Yes, it’s wonderful that everyone can read the same novel, but we should still be interested in learning more about other places and people. Using our common interests, we could find new ways to communicate and share our experiences with one another. Maybe Iron Man has little to do with Brazil, but we could use this common figure in both our cultures to spark a conversation about how each of our cultures views superheroes or businessmen. Our world will always be filled with diverse ideas, cultures, and perspectives, but there is usually more that we can find that will connect us.

Global Option Final Reflection/ Accomplishments

Over this semester, I have loved getting to dig deeper into my education abroad experience and Spanish minor. Global Option pushed me to think critically about my experiences, how they have shaped my undergraduate career, and how I can use these insights in my professional life. Many of the assignments didn’t just have me recap or relfect on my experiences, but had me pause and think about the impact these experiences have had on my life. I learned how to best present my experiences by developing the challenges, growth points, or realizations I encountered in a logical manner. The research paper challenged my perceptions and had me think critically about my stance on globalization and Americanization. My research really showed me the importance of doing thorough research before developing a clear stance, as someone else’s perspective might challenge your thinking or even change your mind. All in all, my Global Option prepared me to be a professional with a deeper understanding of her own experiences.

AZP Class 18 at John Deere in Brazil.