About me

I’m a wetland scientist interested in the study of wetland ecosystem services, especially those derived from the cycling of carbon. I got involved in wetlands while conducting undergraduate research for my Bachelor in Environmental Engineering in Colombia. I continued studying these ecosystems during my Masters in Forest and Environmental Conservation. Then, after receiving a scholarship to study abroad, I went to The Ohio State University for my Ph.D. in Environmental Sciences. For my dissertation, I studied the effects of hydrological restoration in carbon pools and fluxes of Southwest Florida Cypress Swamps and the Everglades.

After my Ph.D. I researched tropical Andean peatlands and lowland mineral-soil freshwater wetlands studying the spatial heterogeneity of greenhouse gas fluxes and carbon sequestration at the ecosystem scale.

Currently, I’m a Visiting Assistant Research Professor at the Department of Civil, Environmental and Geodetic Engineering, where I study the effects of plant communities and plant species in greenhouse gas budgets in wetland and riparian ecosystems. I also co-teach Applied Hydrology (senior/graduate class).