- TextWrangler (Mac)
- Cyberduck (Mac/PC)
- Coffe Cup Free HTML Editor (PC)
- Rhizome.org – supports the creation, presentation, and preservation of contemporary art that uses new technologies in significant ways
- Neural – media art, hacktivsm, e-music
- Networked Performance
- New Media Fix
- Triangulation Blog
- Fach & Asendorf Gallery
- Shredder, by Mark Napier
- Screen Kiss, by Jillian McDonald
- Learning to Love You More, by MIranda July and Harrell Fletcher
- Eyes of Laura, an experimental narrative experienced through the eyes of a security guard and her surveillance cameras
- Ghost City, by Jody Zellen
- A is for Apple, David Clark
- Modern Living, by Hoogerbrugge
- THE PERFECT ARTISTIC WEB SITE by Young-Hae Chang Heavy Industries. See more of this artists’ works here: http://www.yhchang.com/
- Highway, 2008 – by Harm Van Den Dorpel.
- Samorost, by Jakub Dvorsky, a super surreal puzzle/game with incredibly rich visuals.
Curating/Displaying Net Art
- Speed Show: Hit an Internet-cafe, rent all computers they have and run a show on them for one night.
- Super Art Modern Museum is an online-only gallery.
- Fach & Asendorf Gallery
- BYOB: a series OF exhibitions hosting artists and their projectors.
- Information from the Stanford Library’s Copyright & Fair Use Center
- Creative Commons – an innovative organization devoted to getting beyond simplistic copyrights and finding new ways for creative people to legally protect their work while also allowing them to share their work with each other.
- Illegal Art: Freedom of Expression in the Corporate Age – artists creatively challenging copyright issues in their work
- Suggested “best practices” for using the graphic artwork of others – by Lincoln Cushing
- AP Sued by Shepard Fairey Over Obama Image Copyright – in the news recently
Resources for “copyright flexible” digital assets (please read each site carefully for details)
- Morgue File – Public image reference archive
- Flashkit – freeware and shareware audio and video
- Creative Commons– a nonprofit organization that offers flexible copyright licenses for creative works. Also a place to find images/audio and and publish yours. Respect the licences of other artists!
- Stock.XCHNG – photo sharing site, please read and follow the directions for use requested by the author of each image you use
- Public Domain Photos
HTML & CSS links
- Pocket HTML Tutorial
- Dave Raggett’s Overview of HTML
- A List Apart is a fabulous long-running resource for HTML, CSS, and all things web. Articles on everything from the basics of CSS of HTML to discussions of web culture and the design industry.
- CSS Box model to help understand margins, border and padding properties
- CSS Floats 101
- CSS Positioning 101
- CSS Centering
- Complete CSS Code Reference – all the details and arcane elements are in here
- CSS Zen Garden – a gallery of style sheets that dramatically alter the same content
- CSS Font Stack – a list of web-safe CSS font stacks with browser percentages.
- jQuery Tutorials for Designers has some nice examples where they break down what each line of code does
- jQuery Tutorials
- jQuery Documentation
- The Learning jQuery blog has a ton of useful articles, categorized into “beginner,” “intermediate,”, and “advanced.”
Class notes – technical, administrative and inspirational:
- College of the Arts and Humanities IT services, 455 Hagerty Hall, 1775 College Rd. ph: 614-688-4447
- Computer lab policies for the Arts computer labs
- HTML Basics
- Map of the internet
- Kevin Kelly “Predicting the next 5,000 days of the web” video lecture
- Our user area website addresses are based on our last name and user number. Mine is: http://home2.arts.ohio-state.edu/~youngs6/ To find yours check if your last name starts with A – K, then use “home.1”. All others are in “home.2”.
- Optimizing images for the web
- Frameset example (top and main frame)
- Frameset example (top, side and main)
- How to make Framesets in Dreamweaver CS4
- What are framesets? Why they are being phased out?
- Video tutorials by Lynda.com – the Digital Union has a subscription