Huan is an associate professor (with tenure) in the CSE Department at the Ohio State University. She was a visiting scientist at the University of Washington (2016) and received a Ph.D. in Computer Science from University of California, Santa Barbara (2015) and a B.S. in EEIS from the University of Science and Technology of China (2010). Her research interests lie in natural language processing, data mining and AI, with emphasis on natural language interfaces (NLIs) to texts, tables, knowledge graphs, relational databases and computer programs (i.e., question answering, semantic parsing, program synthesis) and making such NLIs interactive and conversational to help users complete tasks through dialogue. Huan received the NSF CAREER Award (2020), Google Faculty Award (2020), OSU Lumley Research Award (2020), SIGKDD Ph.D. Dissertation Runner-Up Award (2016), the honor of being MIT EECS Rising Stars (2015), Outstanding Dissertation Award from UCSB CS (2015), the UC Regents’ Special Fellowship (2010, 2014).
For prospective students: Please reach out if you are interested in joining us! OSU is ranked 24th in Artificial Intelligence and 19th in Systems by US News in 2022! Note that no ranking is perfect and please consider multiple dimensions when choosing a program.
Ph.D. Student (Jointly with Prof. Mike White)
I also closely work with the following students:
- Ash Lewis (with Prof. Mike White in Linguistics)
- Bernhard Kratzwald (Oct 2019 – Feb 2020, from ETH)
- Shuyi Song (Sep 2019 – Aug 2020, from Zhenjiang University)
- Sicong Ouyang (Sep 2019 – Dec 2019, from BUPT & Tsinghua)
- Boyuan Pan (Nov 2018 – May 2019, with financial support provided, from Zhejiang University)
- Yuantong Li (Sep 2018 – Jan 2019, with financial support provided, now at Cornell)
- Ziyu Yao (Ph.D., Graduated: 2021, First employment: Assistant Professor at George Mason University)
- Jie Zhao (Ph.D., Graduated: 2020, First employment: Applied Scientist at Amazon)
- Xinliang “Frederick” Zhang (B.S., Graduated: 2021, Next: Ph.D. student at UMichigan EECS)
- Heming Sun (B.S., Graduated: 2021, Next: Master student at Univ. Southern California, CS)
- Varun Ranganathan Dhanvanth (Master, Graduated: 2020, joined Facebook)
- Kaushik Mani (Master, Graduated: 2020, joined Oracle)
- Brian Gainer (Undergraduate, Graduated: 2020, joined Snapchat)
- George Li (Undergraduate, Graduated: 2020, joined Akuna Capital)
- Jayavardhan Reddy Peddamail (Master, Graduated: 2019, joined Google working in NLP and Machine Learning)
- Frank W. Meszaros (Undergraduate, Graduated: 2019, joined Vectrix.io)
- Dushyanta Dhyani (Master, Graduated: 2018, joined Amazon AlexaBrain group)
Most photos were taken together with Prof. Yu Su‘s group.
Sorry if we missed photos with you. Please don’t hesitate to share them with Huan.