Improving Diversity in Optometric Careers (I-DOC) is an intensive four-day program that introduces underrepresented undergraduate college students to the profession of optometry. This award-winning program is competitive with a limited number of space. This year, due to COVID-19, I-DOC will be held virtually, June 6 – 9, 2022 in half-day sessions that will be accessible for students in all time zones and feature nationally known optometrists.
The Purpose of the I-DOC program is to improve and promote diversity in Optometry by cultivating a diverse student body. The program has been designed to:
- Help students understand the role of diversity in Optometry in overcoming health disparities.
- Expose students to educational opportunities and careers in Optometry.
- Help students navigate the Optometry school application process (including having access to test prep materials) and develop into competitive and successful applicants.
- A strong academic aptitude that demonstrates the potential to succeed in professional school (cumulative GPA greater than 2.9)
- Identify as an underrepresented minority in the U.S. from any of the following groups: African American/Black, Hispanic/Latinx, Native American, Desi American (includes Southeast Asians such as Indian, Nepali, Pakistani, and Afghani), North African, Middle Eastern, Asian American, and LGBTQIA+
- Undergraduate student or college graduate
The online Application for I-DOC 2022 is now open. The Application deadline is Saturday, April 30 at 11:59 pm ET. Notification of acceptance to the program will be completed by Tuesday, May 31.
The following items will need to be uploaded in a pdf, jpeg or doc format with your application. Please have them prepared as you will need to complete the application in one sitting.
- Short Essay (250 Words Maximum):
How will improving the diversity of healthcare providers impact the healthcare received by patients?
- When you create this document for upload, please name it: LastName_FirstName_Essay
- Unofficial transcript
- When you create this document for upload, please name it: LastName_FirstName_Transcript
Questions about the application an be directed to Jen Bennett at email@example.com.