Hello Law Enforcement Professionals!
We are so excited that you want to learn more about how your specific profession can help our cause and help spread mental health awareness. It is especially important for law enforcement to be educated because about 2 million jail bookings every year will involve a person who has a mental illness (NAMI). Many times a mental heath facility would be a more appropriate intervention for community members you encounter. We want to help you be able to recognize these individuals and know how to help.
We have designed a free, online educational module to help you better identify individuals who may be in distress and need help. The educational module will include information about the following:
(1) recent statistics of mental illness and imprisonment/violence, introduction to mental health, and description of our initiative;
(2) best practices and evidence for identifying people with mental illness, approaching/talking to someone about mental illness, overcoming barriers and challenges when helping someone in distress;
(3) best practices and evidence for triaging someone with mental illness, available help resources (including resources specifically for law enforcement), and non-pharmacological treatments/therapies to help someone in distress.
To access the module, please follow these instructions:
1. Go to https://elearning.nursing.osu.edu/course/index.php
2. Select “I Will Help You Initiative” from the course list.
3. Select “For Law Enforcement” from the list.
4. Select Create New Account if you are a new user or login with your existing account if you are a returning user. If you are registering as a new user you will receive an email with a confirmation link to verify you have used a valid email address. After receiving this e-mail, please click on the link to activate your account.
5. You will then be directed to a website and you will need to click on the button that says “Enroll Me.”
6. This should complete your enrollment into the course.
Please consider taking the pledge to solidify your commitment to helping those who may not be able to help themselves.
We encourage you to share this with other law enforcement professionals or throughout your institution!
Learn more about our initiative by exploring the rest of this page or at our various social media accounts!