IBE Student Spotlight – Andy Miller

Welcome back to another IBE Student Spotlight Series!

This week’s IBE student spotlight features Andy Miller. Andy is a fourth year double majoring in Finance and Accounting and minoring in Engineering science.

When asked “why IBE?” Andy says that it’s all about the people: “I chose IBE because coming into college I was not sure whether I wanted to go into engineering or business, but I knew that I at least wanted some experience in both. I think what really makes IBE is the people, not the program itself. While the classes obviously have great professors and are well taught, what’s more important to me are the lasting friendships I’ve made that I don’t think I would’ve found elsewhere.”

His favorite IBE memory is the final presentation for the freshman design project. His team became really close after working together for 3 months. Seeing everything come together in our final product pitch and winning best overall product was a nice touch as well, he reminisces.

Outside of IBE, Andy is involved with Ascent Microfinance, Buckeye Undergraduate Consulting Club, Sigma Phi Epsilon, and Big Data Analytics Association.

Besides academics and extracurriculars, Andy loves to read and keep up to date on current events. It’s very easy to get bogged down in schoolwork/extracurricular activities/job searching, so I like to make sure I know what’s going on in the world, he shares. Beyond that, Andy is a huge Pittsburgh sports fan thanks to his dad, and he follows all 3 teams closely.

Since he’s a fourth year, we asked Andy what his plans are after college. Just like the rest of us, Andy’s still exploring: “I’m still figuring out which field of finance or accounting I really want to go into. Thankfully, I won’t be graduating until next December so I have some more time to figure that out. I’ll probably be headed to JPMorgan this summer, and if I like that I’ll go there full-time. Long-term, I think I’d like to have a career more oriented towards investment management.”

And of course, with age comes wisdom. Andy shares a few words of advice for the younger IBE students and prospective students as well: “Try to get involved with as much as you can early in college (and life), and then you can skim down to really find what you’re most passionate about. Something I really regret is not getting involved with more organizations during my freshman year, but if you get involved early, it gives you more time to realize what means the most to you.”

To end this spotlight, we asked Andy what’s one good thing that happened to him in the past week. “My brother got married over the weekend,” he says. “It was such an awesome experience to be a part of and it was great to see so many family members I hadn’t seen a while.”

And like that, we’ll see you in two weeks with another spotlight. Go bucks!