Collage Part 1

I used German newspaper articles depicting the things I love most about being home in Gunzburg, the holidays, the food, sports, and the people. I used pictures of flowers and plants overlapping to illustrate my goal of working in Plant Pathology in Germany to protect the landscape that I love. I inserted photos of money on the right hand side to illustrate the obstacle that is money in getting myself over there. Covering the face of Andrew Jackson on the 50$ bill, is a sign that says give the bees a chance. My nickname is Bella Bee, so hopefully someone gives this bee a chance to overcome that obstacle and achieve my dream.

2 thoughts on “Collage Part 1

1. Kommst du aus Deutschland? Order ist deine familie Deutsch? Ich habe auch in Deutschland gelebt. Und
    als Kind habe ich Wolfgang Petry gehört – sein Name steht in der Zeitung – (Mein Lieblingslied war Wahnsinn!)

My excitement about Germany aside, I am glad that you made this assignment meaningful to you. It seems as if you made a secret code of symbols that are decipherable to a dream you hold dear.

While the different floating images evoke the swirling thoughts of the dream or dreamscape, I think you can integrate the images you chose a bit more. I think it would make an even stronger message. Consider this image by Romare Bearden that we looked at in the lecture ( https://creativethresholds.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/romare-bearden-1.png ) and how while there are many disjointed things happening in the same scene, they are integrated into one space. Maybe the newspaper is made up of articles predicting your future? This way your intervention of collage acknowledges the structure of the newspaper and also plays with it?

I am interested to see how you will translate this collage into your drawing this week!

2. I was born in Germany and can speak, read and write, but my written grammar is horrible so I’ll stick to English for now. My mother is German and my Dad is retired army, he met her stationed in Gunzburg, which is where this newspaper is from.