Collage Part 2


Like in the first collage there is a lot of German influence and things concerning my education in Plant Pathology and my goal of working overseas. There are aspects of German culture, hints of class work and OSU symbols, and many other things that are similar to the first collage. The bees are still there and the roses, but I gave them human traits to add to the dream like quality of the piece and uses different values and line making techniques to add visual interest.

Collage Part 1

I used German newspaper articles depicting the things I love most about being home in Gunzburg, the holidays, the food, sports, and the people. I used pictures of flowers and plants overlapping to illustrate my goal of working in Plant Pathology in Germany to protect the landscape that I love. I inserted photos of money on the right hand side to illustrate the obstacle that is money in getting myself over there. Covering the face of Andrew Jackson on the 50$ bill, is a sign that says give the bees a chance. My nickname is Bella Bee, so hopefully someone gives this bee a chance to overcome that obstacle and achieve my dream.

Critique Reflection

I used a leaf dipped in ink to form a textured background that added to the fall feel. I also changed the pear to a lighter, the pear was eaten by my roommate by the time I got to that part of the drawing.  

Using tools not intended for ink was challenging, and using them and getting the same mark/value as before in a consistent way, was challenging. Finding ways to get a precise line, and portray depth and shadow was also difficult. Finding tools that had a different amount of surface area interacting with the ink and paper added utility in that it enabled me to have different thickness of the line. It also helped to just give up on being consistent, the nature of ink is one of irreversibility and lack of perfection, you can’t erase it and it immediately will dominate a piece, so it’s best just to go with the flow. Using water also helped with value to get lighter tones, and placing water down before using the actual ink on a spot helped blend the ink into other segments as well, which I initially thought was a risky move since it could’ve made the ink drip or run away in a way I didn’t intend. It was helpful to hear people’s interpretations of what they saw in the piece, and what they thought would’ve worked better to add interest to the piece and depth. I also liked hearing others give background information to their artworks during the critique; after more background knowledge was given it was like you could look at the piece with fresh new eyes. I will take those comments into account and experiment with different forms of mark-making (stippling, hatching) instead of primarily washes in an attempt to increase visual interest and value differentiation.