Global Awareness

Over the course of my high school career and my first semester in college, I have become even more aware of the different situations and backgrounds that people come from and that the people I interact with all have their own unique stories which make them who they are today. My closest friends, some whom I’ve known since childhood, and some whom I’ve grown close to over a couple years, have all experienced very difficult challenges throughout their lives, and as they mature, they grow stronger each day and become more appreciative of what they have. I can never come close enough to fully understanding each one of their stories and the pain they have all felt before, but I do understand that every single one of my friends is working hard in their own ways to provide for their own daily needs while keeping their families safe. Through my volunteering experience, I have met students who are struggling with the same hardships that my friends had gone through and seeing these kids who are only in elementary school show up to our program each day with a smile on their face without mentioning their personal issues had made me realize that our younger generations are starting to become stronger as they face challenges that usually involve teenagers or adults.

One thought on “Global Awareness

1. The GOALS created by the honors college are a great outline of ways I should get involved while studying at Ohio State. Each GOAL covers a different aspect of the world I hope to dapple in and find my true passions once I explore what is out there. I am very interested in global awareness and think this aspect of the GOALS will be of most interest. I find that leadership is one GOAL that encompasses all the of the aspirations of the honors college.