At our annual Honors Gala, we give special thanks to our donors. First, the OSU College of Medicine, the OSU COM Alumni Society, and the OSU Wexner Center Service Board, who have been instrumental in our founding and in sustaining our programs. We also thank our loyal individual donors who have supported us from the beginning either through payroll deductions or donations for special events. You have all helped us bring the Medicine and the Arts Endowment Fund into reality and you have helped keep our programming strong.
As you may know, you may make a donation to the Medicine and the Arts Endowment Fund (644807) or to the Current Use Fund (313778) through the OSU Foundation. You may give to the general fund in each category or designate your contribution to a particular area including. For further information on giving to a specific Humanism in Medicine program, please contact us.
We welcomed Maureen McGovern back to our Medicine and the Arts Honors Reception as she hosted an evening dedicated to exploring the Humanism in Medicine Student Section and its many talented musicians and artists. Maureen McGovern is the multi-Grammy nominated Broadway and recording artist as well as a Medicine and the Arts Board Member. Her latest album, You Raise Me Up: A Spiritual Journey, was recently released and serves as the inspiration for the evening as we celebrated the artistic journeys of our students as they always encourage us all to enjoy the healing presence of the arts in our personal and professional lives.
Our Student Section performances included:
- HiM Writer’s Group/Ether Arts Poetry Reading: Adriana Giuliani, MS4. Mythos
- Maureen McGovern and Dance in Medicine: You Raise Me Up By Maureen McGovern, with Dance in Medicine performers Madonna Enwe, Angela Salemi-Milanes and Valerie Blackwell-Truitt
- UltraSound: Christopher Ayoub, AnnaMarie Beckmeyer, Eric Bishop, Carolina Brea, Alex Carter, James Saelens, and Nisha Patel
- HiM Theatre/Film Arts Improv: Alex Liu, Jared Squires and Andrew Vidalis
- Professional School Orchestra: Pirates of the Caribbean by Klaus Badelt, with Aroh Pandit, Conductor
- HiM Writer’s Group/Ether Arts Poetry Reading: Meghan Fennell, MS2. Seuss MD
- Maureen McGovern and UltraSound: Imagine
- HiM Visual Arts: Pre and Post Event Exhibit: Rana Elgazzar, Chair
After these lovely performances, we presented our annual Sir William Osler, MD Awards. In 2018, we again honored the many contributions individuals and arts organizations have made on behalf of our Humanism in Medicine and Medicine and the Arts initiatives as well as those that founded programs for the medical humanities at the OSU College of Medicine. These included:
From the Columbus Arts Community
- Mimi Brodsky Chenfeld: Ohio Alliance for Arts Education, Ohio Arts Council Urban Arts Space.
- On behalf of UAS: Erik Pepple and Courtney Tinnel Merijn van der Heijden, MFA: OSU Arts Initiative, Urban Arts Space Interim Director
From the OSU Community
- Jeffrey J. Walline, OD, PhD. Associate Dean of the College of Optometry
- Karla Zadnik, OD, PhD. Dean of the College of Optometry
Special Recognition of Leadership in Humanism in Medicine:
- Mary Beth Fontana, MD. Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine
Special Recognition from the Medicine and the Arts Board for University Hospital East:
- Todd Tussing, DNP, RN, CENP, NEA-BC. Administrative Director of Nursing
- UHE Representative: Mary Howard, DNP, RN, NEA-BC. Executive Director UHE
- Michelle Corrado, MD. OSU College of Medicine, Humanism in Medicine
- Diane Brogan Habash, PhD, MS, RDN, LD. School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences