Second Year in Review || 2019-2020

As I reflect on the changes that the community made on me and the changes I made on the community, I recognize how genuinely happy I am–academically, socially, financially, physically, and mentally. It hasn’t sunk in that I am halfway through my undergraduate career and I don’t think it ever will. I have experienced more than I could ever imagine but I also have so much left to explore. From my first day at Ohio State, I was welcomed by the staff and students and I cannot thank the University and everyone in it for giving me opportunities to develop my global awareness, interpersonal skills, academics, personal wellness, and my community. 

The Residence Halls Advisory Council serves as the voice of Ohio State’s on-campus students and is the governing organization for all campus residence hall councils. As the Director of Programming, I managed bimonthly on and off-campus events to represent all residences’ interests such as a trip to COSI, axe throwing, Mean Girls the musical at Ohio Theater, and a lego Brutus building event. I’ve been able to meet student leaders, directors of dining, sustainability, and housing, and Ohio State residents. They inspire and drive me to step past my boundaries to contact resources who can share diverse experiences ranging from cultural backgrounds to musical tastes that can represent our students’ identities. During these events and meetings, I contributed my ideas and built off of others to encourage growth in individuals and in the community. I have had the opportunity to speak in front of small and large crowds and ensure that each person I meet feels welcomed and educated. 

It is my duty to teach and learn from others and there has been no better opportunity to experience this than my teaching assistant position. After 2 semesters of teaching, I have been so rewarded by seeing the progress of my students. Being able to directly interact and teach through hands-on experience is one of the best ways to learn and I want to facilitate and encourage their growth. I’ve learned to understand concepts to the point that I can form connections between everything–making it easier to teach others from different perspectives and relate it to real-life scenarios. Working with college students has been life-changing as well because I am able to build a community of students who aren’t afraid to ask questions, who can struggle but also learn together, and I want to build a trustful relationship that many students don’t get to make with their professors. 

I’ve also had the opportunity to work with Columbus City Elementary students with Wonders of Our World (WOW). Their creativity and engagement inspire me to do what I do. Learning is a never-ending process. I teach a single concept in each unit, yet I learn something new every time I explain it. Whether I learn how students think or if I learn a random fact about the unit, I am embracing the curious aspect of science and encouraging others to do the same. Even as the instructor, I am continuing to learn from others academically and interpersonally. Interacting with youth has influenced me to pursue a potential career in education and youth leadership. I recognize the impact teachers and other adult figures have on youth and I want to ensure every individual is surrounded by the necessary resources they need to thrive. 

My interest in youth leadership only grows as I work with students from all around Ohio. Camp Kesem is a community that supports children through and beyond their parent’s cancer. This group of people–the college students, the parents, and the campers–have given me the opportunity to be myself and support those who need it most. I have seen what strength and perseverance look like and I’ve felt the unconditional love that this community brings. People of all different backgrounds come together to support one another and I hope to make the same impact on everyone I meet that this community has made on me.

All of my extra-curricular activities have made a life-changing impact on me but my academics and research have also shaped who I am. My second year has easily been the hardest time of my life. I overwhelmed myself and did not dedicate the time to stay on top of my studies, but I got through it. I learned to make connections, to understand the basics before advancing, repetition is the key to success, and I learned that people are always here to help. While I struggled through my courses, I always enjoyed learning. It was such a relief to know I picked the right major for me. I took my first biochemistry course and from the first week, I knew this was the place for me. My research that I started last summer only solidified my interest in biochemistry. I’ve been able to run my own experiments and conduct research inside and outside of the lab. This past semester I also took a Classical Mythology course (CLAS 2220H) and it was one of the best in-person and distance-learning courses I’ve ever taken. The class was about 25 students and mostly discussion-based so I got to get to know everyone’s names and engage with them in intellectual conversation while learning about Greek myth. The professor, students, and course material make it one of the best classes I’ve taken and I would recommend it to anyone. 

Short life update: I’ve stayed sane during quarantine thanks to my family, my internship got canceled which was the worst news I’ve ever received but I was not surprised, I’m getting back into dance (ballet) at home and working on my physical fitness, I am also getting back into music (piano/viola/flute), and I am still involved in athletic band and plan to continue for all 8 semesters.

Summer plans: National Residence Halls conference will be on Memorial Day weekend. I will continue to plan programs for students in the residence halls while keeping social distancing in mind. Since my internship was canceled, I will be working from home and continuing my research (students are still not recommended to come on campus). I will also review for autumn courses before classes begin.